Report: Former Duke basketball star Battier to join ESPN following NBA Finals

According to a report from The Big Lead Monday, former Duke standout Shane Battier will be joining ESPN after playing in the NBA Finals for the Miami Heat and retiring.

Battier—who swept the major National Player of the Year Awards and led Duke to a National Championship during his senior year in 2001—said two months ago that he would retire following the season unless there was an “act of God,” according to the report.

The two-time NBA champion reportedly agreed to a multi-year TV deal to be a college basketball analyst, although it is unclear whether Battier will work in the studio or on the remodeled set of College Gameday.

It was previously reported that it is possible that Battier’s old championship teammate Jason Williams might join College Gameday as part of the program’s renovation. Another former Blue Devil basketball player, Jay Bilas, is already part of College Gameday, making it possible that three former Duke players could be on the show in the fall.

Battier—a 13-year NBA veteran—has been making plenty of headlines lately, as Grantland’s Zach Lowe reported last week that the Birmingham, Mich., native said he had been called by the Michigan Democratic Party to see if he would consider running for U.S. Senator Carl Levin’s seat.

Battier’s deal with ESPN is expected to only be officially announced after the NBA Finals—which begin Thursday in San Antonio—are complete.

It is possible that winning a third consecutive championship could change Battier’s mind about retirement, but it is not likely considering his declining role on the team and his expiring contract.

Share and discuss “Report: Former Duke basketball star Battier to join ESPN following NBA Finals” on social media.