Celine Boutier qualifies for U.S. Women's Open

After winning three of her final four tournaments of the season, Celine Boutier claimed another victory to qualify for the U.S. Women’s Open Wednesday.

The sophomore shot rounds of 72 and 70 to win the U.S. Women’s Open Sectional Qualifying at The Heritage Golf Course in Westminster, Colo. Boutier’s two-under-par total was good enough for a two-stroke victory and a spot in her second major championship. The Frenchwoman made the cut at the 2013 Ricoh Women’s British Open.

Boutier—the seventh-ranked player in the nation according to Golfweek—and the third-ranked Blue Devils will compete at the NCAA Championship May 20-23 at the Tulsa Golf & Country Club in Tulsa, Okla.

The ACC Player of the Year, Boutier made three birdies in each of the two rounds to separate herself from the other 47 golfers attempting to qualify. The U.S. Women’s Open will be played June 19-22 at the Pinehurst Resort & Country Club Course No. 2 in the Village of Pinehurst, N.C., the same site of the men’s U.S. Open.

Typically a strong tee-to-green player, Boutier has improved her power this season and reaped the rewards of her hard work. She won the Bryan National Collegiate March 30 to earn her first career victory, then followed it up with a win at the PING/ASU Invitational against some of the top players in the nation.

Boutier won the ACC Championship by five strokes, sparking Duke’s 27-stroke victory, before finishing tied for 24th at the NCAA East Regional May 10. She will look to build on her recent success at the NCAA Championship before competing against the best players in the world at the U.S. Open.

Share and discuss “Celine Boutier qualifies for U.S. Women's Open” on social media.