Sean Obi to transfer to Duke basketball

Former Rice forward Sean Obi announced his decision to transfer to Duke Monday night via social media. The 6-foot-9 big man visited campus last weekend before ultimately choosing the Blue Devils.

Generic Script

In addition to the photo, Obi posted a statement cementing his intent to come to Durham next fall:

"Happy to officially announce that I will be attending Duke university for the rest of my college basketball career. Very thankful for all the support and love from my family and friends all over, and also to every college Coach that have called and been in involved with me through out this process. Duke it is!!"

A native of Nigeria, Obi impressed in his first and only season at Rice, nearly averaging a double-double for the Owls with 11.4 points and 9.3 rebounds per game and leading Conference USA in rebounding.

With Obi now on board, the Blue Devils began to fill the void at forward left in the wake of announcements by Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood last week that they would declare for the NBA Draft. Obi will join Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones, Justise Winslow and Grayson Allen as a member of one of Duke's most highly-touted batch of newcomers in program history.

As was the case with Hood, Obi must sit out the 2014-15 season due to NCAA transfer rules. He will be eligible to suit up for the Blue Devils in the 2015-16 campaign.

Share and discuss “Sean Obi to transfer to Duke basketball” on social media.