Duke alum Streelman tied for 10th after 2 rounds at Masters

Duke alum Kevin Streelman is tied for 10th at one-under-par after 36 holes at the 2014 Masters at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Ga.

Streelman—the 45th ranked player in the world—opened with an even-par 72 late in Thursday’s first round and carded a one-under-par 71 Friday morning, taking advantage of calmer conditions. The winds picked up Friday afternoon and the golf course dried out, making the famous 7,435-yard layout play even tougher.

Streelman is making his third appearance at the Masters after missing the cut in 2011 and 2013. The Winfield, Ill., native turned pro in 2001 after graduating from Duke.

Streelman struggled early in his career, but burst onto the scene in 2008, when he finished tied for the lead at the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines in San Diego after 18 holes. The 5-foot-10, 175-pound golfer was unable to sustain his strong play, finishing tied for 53rd.

After 152 starts on the PGA Tour without a win, Streelman won the 2013 Tampa Bay Championship at Innisbrook Golf Club and Resort in Palm Harbor, Fla., last March. The 35-year-old built on his performance by placing tied for 12th at last year’s PGA Championship at Oak Hill Country Club in Pittsford, N.Y., to earn his first top-15 finish at a major.

He will look to improve on his August performance this weekend, and will enter the third round trailing 2012 Masters champion Bubba Watson—who sits three shots ahead of the field at seven-under-par—by six shots.

Although his strong play could have him making headlines come Sunday, Streelman also received attention for giving away two tickets to this year’s Masters Wednesday after his parents fell sick.

Share and discuss “Duke alum Streelman tied for 10th after 2 rounds at Masters” on social media.