Duke women's basketball Player of the Week: Week 12

Tricia Liston

Statline: Sunday vs. Pittsburgh: 23 points, 8-of-10 shooting, 3-of-4 from 3-point range, four rebounds and three assists

Thursday at Miami: 29 points, 10-of-15 shooting, 9-of-11 from the free throw line, five rebounds and two assists

The good: Liston continued her dominant season this week, breaking the record for most career 3-pointers made Sunday in a blowout win against Pittsburgh and sparking Thursday’s comeback win at Miami with her drives to the basket. Liston’s efficiency continues to be off the charts. She scored 21 points in the first half against the Hurricanes when Duke needed her offense the most and found a way to tie her career-high in points without making a single 3-pointer. She also had a key 3-point play late in the game that put Duke in the driver’s seat to win the nail-biter. The Illinois native continues to be the Blue Devils’ go-to-player this season and will look to continue her strong play against No. 2 Notre Dame on Sunday.

The bad: It is hard to find a weak point in Liston’s all-around game from the past week as the senior has been a great leader and done the little things well too. However, Liston’s defense in the first half against the Hurricanes was not what it normally is. The same can be said for all of Duke’s guards as Miami scored 46 points in the period on 56.3 percent shooting, but Liston’s defensive performance was more noticeable because it was the only part of her game that was not firing on all cylinders. Liston played intense defense down the stretch of the game to make up for her lackluster first half on that end of the court, but the lack of consistent defensive intensity for 40 minutes away from Cameron Indoor Stadium still remains a concern for Liston and the Blue Devils.

The bottom line: Even a poor half of defense was not enough to diminish Liston’s outstanding week of basketball. Scoring 52 points on 27 shots in any two-game stretch is incredible, but considering Liston has to be at the top of every opponent’s scouting report, the performance was even more impressive. She has had no problem taking on a heavier load as an offensive playmaker since senior point guard Chelsea Gray was lost for the season and her draft stock continues to rise.

Honorable Mention: Junior center Elizabeth Williams put up 20 points on 8-of-11 shooting against Pittsburgh and had 18 points and 12 rebounds at Miami. The junior also hit the game-winning free throw against the Hurricanes and has continued terrorizing ACC opponents on both ends of the court. Williams will be the X factor for Sunday’s game because Duke’s offense starts with her and develops from the inside-out.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball Player of the Week: Week 12” on social media.