Duke women's basketball Player of the Week: Week 11

Alexis Jones

Statline: Sunday vs. Virginia Tech: 19 points, 7-of-11 shooting, six assists, three rebounds in 38 minutes.

Thursday vs. Florida State: 13 points, 5-of-11 shooting, 15 assists, five rebounds in 43 minutes.

The Good: Jones seems to be comfortably assuming the role of primary point guard now that Chelsea Gray is done for the season. She has been playing significantly more minutes and is doing well to fill the void of on-court leader that was created by Gray’s absence. Jones kept the team steady and composed in two victories that were closer than expected, hitting several clutch shots along the way to ensure that the Blue Devils remained undefeated in conference play. Her assist totals were also well above her season average, an indication that she is balancing the tasks of being a primary scoring threat and creating opportunities for her teammates.

The Bad: Jones turned the ball over six times against Virginia Tech, and gave it up four more times against Florida State. She piled up a lot of assists so her assist-to-turnover ratio was still a respectable 2:1, but giving opponents opportunities to get out in transition for easy baskets allows them to keep games close. The Duke offense seemed a bit out of sync at times this week—the blame for which doesn’t fall entirely on Jones, of course—and Jones, as the main ball-handler, has to bear some responsibility for that.

The Bottom Line: Duke fans should still be very much encouraged about the team's prospects for the rest of the season. Jones’ speed and quickness allows the Blue Devils to play at a faster tempo if the situation calls for it, and adds another facet to their offense that can keep opponents on their heels. She has stepped up as a clutch leader and playmaker in these two close games, and continues to improve with each passing game.

Honorable Mention: Tricia Liston continued her fantastic season by leading the team in scoring in both games this week, notching 47 combined points in the two contests. Even more impressive is the fact that she shot better than 50 percent from the field and from 3-point range in both games. Liston continues to etch her name in the Duke record book with her prolific shooting performances, and should continue to be a dynamic force for the rest of the season.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball Player of the Week: Week 11” on social media.