Michigan basketball 2013-14 season preview

Michigan lost some big names after going to the national championship game in 2012-13.

Overall record: 31-8, 12-6 in the Big Ten

Head coach: John Beilein

Tenure at Michigan: Seventh season

Career coaching record: 673-403

Home court: Crisler Center

Starters: F Mitch McGary, F Jordan Morgan, F Glenn Robinson III, G Nik Stauskas, G Derrick Walton, Jr.

Bench: F Jon Horford, G Zak Irvin, G Spike Albrecht

Overview: Is the glass half full or half empty? That’s the question coach John Beilein is asking himself following a scintillating run to the national championship game last year. National Player of the Year Trey Burke capitalized on his stellar sophomore year to jump to the NBA, and talented perimeter player Tim Hardaway, Jr. joined him in the making the leap.

Still, the Wolverines retain a bevy of talent, including sophomores Glenn Robinson III and Mitch McGary, who truly blossomed during the NCAA tournament and will lead the Michigan frontcourt this season. Sharpshooter Nik Stauskas will pack a perimeter punch after shooting 44.0 percent from beyond the arc last season, and point guard Spike Albrecht will try to expand upon his 15 minutes of fame from last year’s championship game. Key to this team's success will be freshmen Zak Irvin and Derrick Walton, who will try to fill Burke's shoes.

With Beilein at the helm, Michigan has finished at least in the top four in the Big Ten in the past three seasons, and the squad hopes to slog through the always tough Big Ten regular season to another top finish in the conference and a high seed in the NCAA tournament. There, as the Wolverines know so well, anything can happen.

One thing that needs to go right: The Wolverines find a point guard who provides a decent Burke imitation, and without many upperclassmen, the freshman and sophomore classes supply their own leadership.

One thing that could go wrong: Burke’s production can’t be replaced, and the production of last year’s peripheral stars—McGary and Robinson—drop off as well as a result.

Share and discuss “Michigan basketball 2013-14 season preview” on social media.