The key three: Duke basketball vs. Arizona

Coming off a win over Alabama, No. 6 Duke takes on No. 4 Arizona in the final of the NIT Season Tip-off. The Blue Devils and the Wildcats will square off at 6 p.m. at Madison Square Garden in New York. Here are the keys to tonight’s game:

Compete on the glass

Keep the Wildcats off the charity stripe

Duke has struggled to not foul early in the season—getting in foul trouble against Alabama and Kansas—and this could cost them against the Wildcats. In Wednesday's matchup with Drexel, Arizona outshot the Dragons 30-7 from the free throw line and ended up with a plus-18 advantage on points from the foul line. The Blue Devils' defense has been leaky enough that they can't afford to spot any opponents free points, let alone a team as talented as Arizona. With rebounding a concern, any foul trouble on Amile Jefferson, Rodney Hood or Jabari Parker would be additionally concerning, as the small lineup Mike Krzyzewski employed on Wednesday will be less viable against a frontcourt powerhouse like Arizona.

Fast start offensively

Although the Blue Devils have started the season poorly by their high standards—with the loss to Kansas and the surprisingly difficult wins over Vermont, East Carolina, and Alabama—they are still the best team that Arizona has faced this year. The Wildcats may be more on their toes following a come-from-behind win over Drexel, but Duke is more battle-tested thus far this season and needs to use that to its advantage early in Friday's game. Both teams started slow in their wins Wednesday night, but against top-tier competition, a lethargic opening will be that much more costly. Duke would love to lock in its shooting stroke early and find the offense it boasted in the first half against Vermont, when it tallied 51 points. Whether Andre Dawkins, Matt Jones or Rasheed Sulaimon receives those minutes at the off-guard slot, the Blue Devils will need to find perimeter production beyond what Quinn Cook provides.

Share and discuss “The key three: Duke basketball vs. Arizona” on social media.