Health officials keep vaccination rates high during a season of low flu rates

Health officials are getting a jump on administering flu shots to prevent an influx of illness during the peak of flu season.

A group of graduate students from the School of Nursing partnered with Student Health to set up flu shot clinics around campus throughout the month of October. There was a total of 10 clinics—including East Campus dormitories, the Marketplace and the Bryan Center—to reach out to more students in high-traffic areas, said Associate Director of Student Health Jean Hanson.

“I just walked into the common room and bam, shot, done,” said freshman Rachel Van Fleet, whose Pegram common room was overtaken by one of the clinics. “It was so easy and painless. They’re free, too, so why not get one?”

Hanson said that because flu rates are random from one year to the next, the way to be truly prepared is to administer as many flu shots as possible early on and campaigns to raise awareness of the importance of vaccinations.

“We take the vaccine right to the students,” Hanson said. “The more people hear it, the more it will sink in."

Hanson said that as of Nov. 7, there have been no confirmed cases of influenza in North Carolina this year. Flu season does not usually peak until January though.

Dr. Arlene Sena, medical director of the Durham County Department of Public Health, also said it is not unexpected that flu rates are low thus far, but that it is important to continue vaccinating people in order to maintain these low levels.

In general, everyone should vaccinate and vaccinate early on," Sena said. "College students, although healthy, should too because everyone is at risk for influenza.”

Student Health has demonstrated its commitment to early vaccination in the past. Last year, they gave students 6,900 flu shots from September to February. So far, 3,600 have been administered this Fall. Some students, however, are wary of the timeline of vaccination administration.

“They are very aggressive about vaccinating people here at Duke,” freshman Jordan Lucore said. “I know I would have preferred to get my shot at a later date... because I was already feeling sick [from another affliction].”

Lucore also questioned the usefulness of an early flu shot that is given before it is apparent what type of flu the season will bring.

"It really is just a prediction of what the flu virus will be for the year," he said.

Hanson argues that everyone should receive the vaccination to save themselves pain and time later.

“Y’all don’t have time to be sick in bed with the real flu,” Hanson said. “If you haven’t had your flu shot, go get it.”

Share and discuss “Health officials keep vaccination rates high during a season of low flu rates” on social media.