Stat Chat: Who wants Crowder?

Last weekend's game against Troy taught us a lot about this Duke football team. The defense improved in the second half, despite playing another abysmal first two quarters. Brandon Connette seems to have settled into the starting role, accounting for 11 touchdowns in two games. Hell, even more people are starting to make it out to the home games. However, as a Blue Devil football fan, the most entertaining and intriguing player on the team is wide receiver Jamison Crowder.

Crowder teamed up with all-time ACC receptions leader Conner Vernon and much-improved slot receiver Desmond Scott last year to complete a dangerous receiving core with an above average quarterback in Sean Renfree. Thus, the question coming into this year, with all of Renfree, Vernon and Scott gone, was would Crowder follow up his breakout campaign with another impressive season? No, he hasn't had quite the success of Denver Bronco's wideout Wes Welker, but Crowder's numbers are impressive to say the least.

Thus far, Crowder has garnered 37 catches, putting him in a tie for fifth among wide receivers in Division I-A. The junior wideout also is tied for sixth in total receiving yards with an impressive 530 yards. Crowder ranks first in the ACC in both categories. Here's where things get interesting. Not only does Crowder rank outside of the top 40 in yards per catch (14.3), but total touchdowns as well (2). You're probably wondering, "where have I seen this before from a Duke football player?" Oh right, last year!

Vernon was considered by many in the conference as an All-American caliber receiver before the season started, and he did not disappoint, opening with 34 receptions, 462 passing yards, and three touchdowns. He also was in the midst of a record-breaking year in the ACC, so every play felt as though it could have been the one to get the job done. Duke's receiving core had been solid overall, with six different receivers averaging more than 10 yards per catch.

Vernon may have the edge from a historical perspective, but Crowder's numbers suggest he may be just as good, if not better, than Vernon was a year ago. Which leads me to this point: Crowder has better potential to do well in the pros than Vernon does. The knock on Vernon in his four years was that he could do everything well. He had good hands, good speed, etc. What we see out of Crowder, while it is still earlier in the season, is an extremely fast receiver that could help out any team in need of a slot receiver. The Duke football season may be at a crossroads, but Crowder, regardless of what happens over the next few weeks, will be one of the marquee receivers at years end.

Share and discuss “Stat Chat: Who wants Crowder?” on social media.