Stat Chat: Here Comes the Boom

Duke is historically an offensive team, scoring at will, but also giving up a ton of points. We've seen it this year numerous times already. In a three-game span, the Blue Devils gave up 127 points (42.33 points per game). However, something changed after halftime of the team's contest against Virginia two weeks ago, Not only did Duke's defense play better, they played arguably one of the best defensive stretches on the road in the history of the program. Consider that coming into the contest, Blue Devil defenses under Coach Cutcliffe allowed 56.5 points per game when playing back-to-back games on the road. The 32 points given up by Duke the past two weeks on the road is the lowest total allowed since the 1994-95 season.

So how did we reach this point? What changed? Some have pointed to a different mentality in the locker room, but the linebacking core's play is what has made the difference. Starting linebackers David Helton and Kelby Brown have combined for 48 tackles, over the past two games, accounting for nearly 27 percent of the team's total tackles. The duo's 33 tackles last week alone accounted for nearly a third of the Blue Devil's tackles. The defensive scheme hasn't appeared to have changed, so it is not out-of-bounds to wonder if improved health has helped both Helton and Brown play to their full potential.

Helton's numbers this year overall have been scary. His 78 tackles this season lead all defensive players in the ACC. Interestingly enough, Duke has the most defenders in the top 10 in tackles, with safety Jeremy Cash ranking second with 72 tackles and Brown ranking ninth with 61. The numbers provide significant evidence that while the past two defensive performances have been great, the Blue Devils have the talent to produce every time they take the field.

Helton has the edge, but it's Brown that found himself with the national defensive player of the week honors. In what may have been the play of the day, Brown intercepted Logan Thomas with 4:22 remaining in the fourth quarter. Fittingly, Brown's first pick couldn't have come at a better time, as the Hokies never got the ball back following that turnover.

By the numbers, the Blue Devils had no business competing in Blacksburg. Anthony Boone had a terrible game against Virginia Tech. He managed only seven completions (none coming in the second half), threw four interceptions and failed to lead the offense to a third down conversion. Thankfully for Boone, he had Ross Martin, who after a sluggish start to the season has made five kicks in a row. Martin hardly had favorable conditions with double-digit winds swirling around Lane Stadium, but still managed to knock down 51-yard and 53-yard field goals, the first to hit from 50 or more twice in a game in the FBS this season. Defense may have been the key, but Martin's leg was the x-factor for Duke.

Duke's next opponent, NC State (3-4, 0-4), should give the Blue Devils another opportunity to improve their defensive numbers. However, the only other time the Blue Devils returned from the road this season, they lost by 24. But after the past few weeks, is it possible for anyone to have any concrete predictions as to what will happen? One thing is for sure: they're bringing the Boom to Durham.

Share and discuss “Stat Chat: Here Comes the Boom” on social media.