Brooklyn Nets GM and former Blue Devil Billy King speaks about his team

On the second day of training camp, Nets GM Billy King walked out onto the court at Cameron Indoor Stadium and proudly pointed out his 1988 Final Four banner. Back on his former home court, King answered questions about this year's Nets team, his offseason acquisitions, head coach Jason Kidd and holding training camp in Durham.

On being back at Duke:

"Any time I'm here, it's a special place, because I think it's the place that gave me the foundation for who I am."
On why he returned to Duke:
"It's the best university in America. It's a place where, for me, it instilled a foundation. It allows the guys to be able to practice, but also it allows them not to be distracted by things like home life, road life. They can take care of their business and go back to relax at the hotel."
On the mindset of the team this season:
"They're here for a purpose. [Forward Kevin Garnett] said it, all the guys said it. They're here to win. When you have guys who have made as much money as they have, the only thing they can do next is try to accomplish something, which is win a championship."
On resting Garnett the second game of back-to-backs:
"We'll talk to KG, and I don't think there's anything in stone. We'll see how he feels. If he feels good we're going to play him."
On point guard Deron Williams' health:
"We'd like him to practice, but the goal now is to get him as healthy as possible so that when he does go there's no setbacks. There's no need to have him have a setback on day two that sets you back so that you're not ready for opening day."
On whether shooting guard Joe Johnson can fit with this team being an isolation player:
"In Phoenix when he played with Steve Nash it wasn't isolation basketball. I think Joe adapts to what the situation calls for. I think all players do. I look at him like he's a basketball player, he'll adapt. There were parts of the season last year where he'd adapt to where he'd stand in the corner because that's what we asked him to do."
On forward Andrei Kirilenko's potential impact:
"I think he gives us the ability to go small, to go big—he gives us the defense along with Alan Anderson. Both those guys will give us the chance to do a lot of things differently. [Kirilenko] brings us a lot of things that [former Net] Gerald [Wallace] brought defensively, he can handle the ball at the point like Gerald did, and make passes. He's great at coming off and blocking shots. A lot of things that Gerald brought I think AK can bring the same thing."
On Jason Kidd as coach:
"I think his instincts will take over. I think in a game he'll see things. Just like he did as a player. I think he'll understand when to get a guy out, or when to go big or when to go small because that's what he was doing. That's the thing Coach K mentioned to me before hiring him. He said if you do hire him, you have to let his instincts take over. Don't put him in a box and say he's got to be this type of coach. Let Jason's instincts take over."
On first round pick Mason Plumlee:
"I think anybody being a rookie in this situation, to have a Kevin Garnett, to have a Paul Pierce, to have this veteran group, I think this will help his career and he'll be in this league for a long time because he's going to get a foundation not a lot of rookies get."

Share and discuss “Brooklyn Nets GM and former Blue Devil Billy King speaks about his team” on social media.