Watch List: Market Street Coffeehouse

Market Street Coffeehouse is the place to go when only the highest-quality coffee will do, you have a five-page paper to churn out and Perkins is about to explode with anxious bodies. Conveniently located on Ninth Street, the coffee shop formerly known as Bean Traders boasts two levels: the main floor where you order coffee and a basement populated with an assortment of charmingly mismatched tables and chairs.

Market Street has the obligatory high-quality Wi-Fi and power outlets to allow for successful studying, but it goes above and beyond with its variety of high-quality caffeinated beverages. Its offerings range from the Frosty Caramella—Market Street’s version of a Starbucks Frappuccino—to an always-changing array of flavored coffees from the Triangle’s own Red Rooster Coffee Company.

The indie music that plays softly in the background, the ambient light cast by chandeliers dangling from the ceiling and the mere fact that it is off campus make Market Street an ideal place to study.

“During final exams this year, I holed up in the basement for 8-10 hours a day,” senior Marie-Claire Bousquette said. “For me, the quiet, comfortable atmosphere makes Market Street the perfect place to write a paper or curl up and read a book.”

Studying at Market Street is particularly appealing for Bousquette due to the "amazing" chai tea lattes and the free Wi-Fi.

Senior Stefani Jones, Duke Student Government President, is also a Market Street Coffee advocate.

“The Market Street basement is one of the best-kept study secrets on Ninth Street—it’s the comfort of Perkins without all of the distractions,” Jones said. “Also, order a London Fog there and you won’t be sorry.”

Market Street Coffeehouse is located at 714 Ninth St. Durham, N.C. 27705.

Share and discuss “Watch List: Market Street Coffeehouse” on social media.