Students protest Travis Porter pick for LDOC, citing sexist lyrics

Some students are questioning whether or not artist Travis Porter should perform at this year’s LDOC because his songs’ lyrics contain controversial elements.

Travis Porter’s controversial lyrics have caused some students to challenge the selection criteria for performers at the Last Day of Classes concerts.

Students, including sophomore Jaclyn Dobies and senior Kelsey Campolong, started conversations with the LDOC committee starting in early March to address concerns about the rap group's “misogynistic” lyrics. The students originally lobbied to have the performers barred from the concert, but this was not possible because the contracts were already signed.

“A lot of [Travis Porter’s] lyrics not only objectify women but also condone violence against women,” Dobies said.

For example, in Porter’s song “P—y Real Good,” lyrics include “Chillin’ in my ride with my b—h on the side/ Stop talking, suck some, you’re f—ing up the vibe.”

Although no immediate action was taken as a result of the meeting, the LDOC committee has expressed sympathy for the concerns voiced.

“If we have the time and the ability, the committee definitely takes into account the concerns of students and acts in the best way possible,” said LDOC committee co-chair Izzy Dover, a sophomore.

She noted that the committee typically receives some concerns regarding artist choice in terms of musical preference each year, but more serious concerns such as Dobies’ rarely come up. Overall, the majority of student feedback has shown excitement for the group's performance.

“I don’t think the opinions of a small group of students should dictate the performers for the entire university based on a music preference,” Dobies said. “But I think that even if just one person objects to an artist selection based on sexism or racism or furthering oppression of a group at the University, their voice should be heard, even if it’s just a minority voice.”

Dover said that the committee tried to consider the concerns of all students, but this late in the academic year it is hard to make changes. Had the concerns been voiced while the committee was still in the consideration phase, it would have seriously swayed their decision, she said.

Upon hearing about the controversy, students had mixed responses.

“Personally I’m a huge women empowerment advocate, but in reaction to LDOC I don’t have an issue with the headliners,” freshmen Risa Pieters said. “I understand they use a lot of sexist lyrics, but that is what popular music is like today and I believe you can still enjoy their music without supporting their lyrics, morals or lifestyles.”

Freshman Ana Corral said that she felt misogynistic messages in popular media were so pervasive that they rendered the student’s efforts useless.

“This woman took a good stand trying to bar [these] performers from coming to Duke, yet it’s not something a small group of people can take on,” Coral said.

Dobies said that she still has hopes that she can work with the LDOC committee to find a solution for this year’s LDOC and revise the selection process for artists so that a similar artist is not chosen in the future.

Dover said that currently the LDOC committee bases their choices solely on what they believe students will enjoy the most but sees this controversy as an opportunity.

“Looking forward, we encourage students who would like their voices to be heard to join the LDOC committee and give us feedback as to how we can better our selection process,” Dover said.

An earlier version stated that Travis Porter was solo artist, but it is a rap group. The original photo illustration included rapper Kendrick Lamar, but has also been modified.

Share and discuss “Students protest Travis Porter pick for LDOC, citing sexist lyrics” on social media.