CULTURE  |  MUSIC

Music Review: Kurt Vile

Vile has matured. His riffs are more precise. He’s comfortable enough to write songs about how much he loves his wife, and he doesn’t worry that it might lower his rock star status. He’s settled down, he’s more earnest and he feels more human. There’s less mythic aloofness about him.

Wakin On a Pretty Daze, Kurt Vile’s fifth and newest album, indicates that the grunge pretty boy has finally hit his stride. Vile evokes the rock vibe of the ’70s, maintaining and expanding his characteristically beautiful acoustic melodies. He doesn’t experiment for the sake of experimenting. On previous albums his voice was less clear, drowned by unnecessary noise. As a result, the sounds on Wakin On a Pretty Daze are purer. His voice cuts through.

Many tracks like “Pure Pain” combine mellow, folk vocals and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young instrumentals. There’s still some stylistic holdover from Vile’s short tenure with the psych rock band The War on Drugs. The album’s tracks are longer—only three tracks are shorter than 4:30—yet none of them bore. Tracks layer various instruments and various styles, from acoustic to electric to organ to synth. Against the acoustic background is Vile’s rolling, psychedelic guitar that bends with frequent use of the wa-wa pedal. Still present, however, are Vile’s signature fuzz and noise.

Nine-minute long opener “Wakin On a Pretty Day” sets the tone for the entire album. His tender finger-picking and strums engage with ease. He’s by trades vulnerable and thankful even though the lyrics explore stark topics. He appreciates what he has even on hard days, and he sees the silver linings. “Snowflakes are Dancing” is an unashamedly uplifting track that details his persistent love.

Vile hasn’t changed direction, but he’s moved forward. He’s honed his skills. Out of Vile’s albums, Wakin On a Pretty Daze is by far the most pleasant and the easiest listening. He’s fully applied himself, and it shows. It never feels like an expanded EP. Unlike on each of his previous albums, every track here contributes to Vile’s personal story.

Vile might be most easily recognized by his long dark hair and smoky demeanor. But, on this album, he comes across as more of an adult, and, surprisingly, that’s all the better.

Share and discuss “Music Review: Kurt Vile” on social media.