SPORTS  |  GOLF

Lindy Duncan represents Duke but fails to make cut at Kraft Nabisco Championships

High winds and a slow start kept senior Lindy Duncan from making the weekend of the LPGA’s first major of the season.

After following up an opening-round 81 with a three-under 69 Friday, Duncan missed the cut at the 2013 Kraft Nabisco Championship by just one stroke. Her six-over-par 150 had her tied for 74th when second round play completed with the cut line at five-over-par.

“This was the most comfortable I’ve ever been in a professional event,” Duncan said. “It didn’t show in the first round, but I had a lot of good practice rounds, and I felt really good about my game.”

A non-factor for the rest of the tournament, the wind picked up Thursday afternoon, resulting in higher scores for those still on the course. A late tee time meant Duncan played the majority of her first round in the windy conditions.

“I just didn’t get off to a good start and I had a terrible rhythm going all day,” Duncan said. “I just started to panic a little bit out there because I felt like I wasn’t competing the way I should have been.”

Duncan said she gained a new perspective after the round by recognizing the pressure she put on herself.

“It was a big wake-up call,” Duncan said. “One of my biggest weaknesses is that I’m just too hard on myself.”

With calmer conditions and a healthier attitude, Duncan posted a bogey-free 69 Friday—a score that was bettered that day by just five professionals.

“It was the first time in a long time where I really just let myself play,” Duncan said. “I’ve been a little uptight the last few months and that was a big round for me.”

The Kraft Nabisco is one of five majors on the LPGA tour and is held annually at Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage, Calif. It was Duncan’s fifth LPGA tournament and third major as an amateur—she played in the 2009 and 2011 U.S. Opens, making the cut in 2011.

The three-time All-American will rejoin the Duke team this week as they travel to Arizona for the PING ASU Women’s Invitational.

Share and discuss “Lindy Duncan represents Duke but fails to make cut at Kraft Nabisco Championships” on social media.