The key three: Duke basketball vs. Cornell

Now that final exams are complete, the Duke basketball hiatus is finally over.

The newly No.1 ranked Blue Devils (9-0) are back in action tonight as they face Cornell (4-6) at 7:00 pm in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Here are three things to watch for in tonight's non-conference matchup:

Marshall Plumlee's debut

The Blue Devil frontcourt is getting substantially bigger. Recently cleared to practice after sustaining a foot injury in the preseason, redshirt freshman center Marshall Plumlee is expected to make his debut as a Duke Blue Devil tonight against the Big Red.

The 7-foot center—who was expected to be a key contributor coming into the year—should be a huge asset on the glass, one of the team's biggest weaknesses so far this season.

Playing an inferior opponent, Plumlee—a player that is praised for his nonstop motor—should get plenty of time on the court in tonight's contest if he is in adequate shape. Developing Plumlee into a reliable rotation player that can rebound effectively will be key for the Blue Devils as they enter conference play next month.

A hot start and a strong defensive outing

With an 11-day layoff due to a grueling exam period, how will the top-ranked Blue Devils come out of the gate? The trio of seniors—Mason Plumlee, Seth Curry and Ryan Kelly—will likely not let the team come out flat, especially against a Big Red offense that has a hard time scoring, averaging a meager 63.9 points per game. Cornell only has one player—6-foot-7 forward Shonn Miller—that averages double figures, and he nets just 10.3 points per game. A fast start combined with a strong defensive effort should allow the Blue Devils to put the game away early.

More burn for the bench

Since the team will not see another ranked foe until N.C. State on Jan. 12, these next couple weeks are a golden opportunity for Duke to further develop its bench. Tonight's tilt with a lesser Cornell squad should allow for reserves Alex Murphy, Amile Jefferson, Josh Hairston, and Marshall Plumlee to get plenty of playing time. And with building for the future in mind, games like these are important for instilling confidence in this season's role players.

Check back here for analysis during the game and follow @dukebasketball on Twitter for live updates.

Share and discuss “The key three: Duke basketball vs. Cornell” on social media.