Duke basketball vs. Cornell updates

Duke 88, Cornell 47 (Final): Alex Murphy came off the bench, and the redshirt freshman logged solid minutes, scoring 7 points. Duke was rolling in every facet of the game pretty much the entire second half and played very unselfishly. Cury, Plumlee and Sulaimon finished with 20, 18, and 16, respectively. Cook played terrifically at the point, dishing out 12 assists. It was an all around solid performance for the top-ranked Blue Devils.

Duke 73, Cornell 32 (10:49 2nd half): This game quickly got out of hand. Duke is firing on all cylinders, hitting shots, playing tenacious defense, and Cornell has no answer. The Blue Devils have held Cornell to two second half points.

Duke 49, Cornell 30 (17:17 2nd half): Duke got the start it need in the opening minutes of the second half. Plumlee now has 14 points and Duke is pulling away from the Big Red. The Blue Devils have executed their offense very well in the second half.

Duke 41, Cornell 30 (Halftime): It's obvious that Duke is a bit out of sync after an 11-day layoff. The Blue Devils have struggled shooting from 3-point range, connecting on just 3-of-11 attempts. Being very aggressive and attacking the rim, Cornell has come out with no fear and it has been successful in getting in transition. The Blue Devils need to continue to work the ball inside. Luckily for Duke, it has been able to turnover the Big Red 14 times in the first half. Look for more ball pressure from the Duke defense in the second half as it tries to put this game away.

Duke 32, Cornell 26 (3:50 1st half): Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski has been subbing a fair amount so far in this game. Cornell continues to get in transition as Duke struggles to connect from distance, shooting just 2-of-10. The Blue Devils need to do a better job with shot selection going forward too.

Duke 26, Cornell 21 (7:29 1st half): Not going away easily in the first half, Cornell has answered with a run of its own every time Duke has look poised to take control. Shonn Miller has 8 points for the Big Red, who have been able to get to the rim. Cornell is also out-rebounding the Blue Devils 9-5 so far.

Duke 19, Cornell 15 (11:42 1st half): After a bit of a defensive letdown to start the game, Duke has been able to create turnovers, get out on the fast break and get some easy baskets. 'Sheed has six points to lead Duke. Both point guards, Thornton and Cook, have had some brilliant passes as Duke looks to pull away.

Duke 8, Cornell 10 (15:57 1st half): Cornell has been able to get out in transition and get some easy buckets early. The Blue Devils need to do a better job matching up defensively and getting back on defense. With a big size advantage down low, Duke should be able to dominate on the block with Plumlee and Kelly. Curry, Kelly, Plumlee and Sulaimon all have 2 points.

Starters

Duke: Quinn Cook, Seth Curry, Rasheed Sulaimon, Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee

Cornell: Nolan Cressler, Johnathan Gray, Miles Asafo-Adjel, Shonn Miller and Eitan Chemerinski

Here are some pregame notes:

• Redshirt freshman Marshall Plumlee is expected to make his debut as a Duke Blue Devil. The 7-foot center is coming off a foot injury that has kept him on the sidelines so far this year.
  • This is Duke's first game in 11 days due to final exams, and it's the Blue Devils' first game as the No. 1 ranked team in the country.

Share and discuss “Duke basketball vs. Cornell updates” on social media.