Revisiting Duke football's 2004 win vs. Clemson

In Duke's last three games vs. Clemson, the Blue Devils have been outscored 127-37, a margin of 90 points.

But four games ago, in 2004 at Wallace Wade Stadium, Duke eked out a 16-13 victory in the final seconds as kicker Matt Brooks hit a 53-yard field goal to secure the win. That was just one of two wins in the 2004 campaign for the Blue Devils, with the other coming against an FCS squad in Citadel.

With the win, Duke fans stormed the field at Wallace Wade—here is some of The Chronicle's article on the game, "Brooks' kick lifts Duke to first ACC win." Check it out:

he Duke football team finally earned an ACC win Saturday with a 16-13 last-second victory over Clemson, which sent fans streaming over the walls of Wallace Wade Stadium.

Duke kicker Matt Brooks lined a 53-yard field goal through the uprights as time expired. With a strong wind at his back and the stadium silent, Brooks cleared the crossbar on a line-drive kick that ended Duke’s four-game losing streak.

After missing a potential game-winning attempt against Connecticut Sept. 11, Brooks redeemed himself Saturday.

“The only thought I had about the UConn game was I wanted to stay away from people,” said Brooks, who walked more than 30 yards away from the line of scrimmage as Clemson took a timeout before the kick. “I knew I had hit enough balls in the net and my leg was loose. I just had to stay relaxed.”

Duke (2-8, 1-6 in the ACC) has blown several leads during a frustrating season, but the offense finally mounted a late-game surge against the Tigers (5-5, 4-4).

“I am really proud of our kids and our coaches,” head coach Ted Roof said. “It is a testament of what they have been through, and they keep coming to work, keep believing and keep fighting. Today, after we got done with our work, we got a paycheck.”

With the game tied at 13, cornerback Deonto McCormick intercepted a Charlie Whitehurst pass at the 50-yard line and returned it eight yards to set the Blue Devils up to receive their “paycheck.” After two complete passes that advanced the ball six yards, Duke faced fourth-and-four at the Clemson 36.

Despite his team’s field position, Roof said he never considered letting the clock run out to send the game into overtime.

“I wanted to make sure those kids got a chance to win the ballgame at the end,” Roof said.

For everything you need on today's Duke-Clemson football action, visit our game page.

Share and discuss “Revisiting Duke football's 2004 win vs. Clemson” on social media.