Week 3 Football: Around the ACC

Overall, notwithstanding Duke’s 54-17 win over NC Central, this was not a good showing by the ACC. Four ACC teams played non-conference games against BCS-conference schools this weekend, and the ACC lost all four of them. The conference picture became a little clearer however, as Florida State routed Wake Forest and Georgia Tech defeated Virginia.

Wake Forest 0, No. 5 Florida State 52

Florida State avenged last year’s loss to Wake Forest, as running back, Chris Thompson ran all over the Demon Deacons, rushing for 197 yards on just nine carries. Thompson scored on runs of 74 and 80 yards on successive carries in the first half, leading the Seminoles to a 38-0 lead at halftime. Altogether, it was a superb showing on all sides of the ball for Florida State. The Seminole defense again shutout the opposing offense for the second consecutive game – they have only allowed three points all season. Even special teams had an impact, as Rashad Green had a 60-yard punt return for a touchdown. Next week Florida State hosts Clemson in a game that already looks to decide the Atlantic Division champion.

No. 13 Virginia Tech 17, Pittsburgh  35

Pitt appears ready to move to the ACC next year after defeating perennial ACC-contender Virginia Tech. The Hokies entered the game with the nation’s longest road winning streak at 13 games, but the Panthers held Hokie quarterback Logan Thomas to just 265 yards on 14 of 31 passing, and caused four turnovers. Panther quarterback Tino Sunseri threw for three touchdowns and running backs Ray Graham and Rushel Shell combined for 251 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

Bethune-Cookman 10, Miami 38

Miami running back Duke Johnson scored touchdowns three different ways as he led the Hurricanes past FCS opponent, Bethune-Cookman. Johnson scored on 28- and a 1-yard runs, caught a 50-yard touchdown reception, and had a 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to cap off his day. The freshman is now second in the country in all-purpose yards, averaging 212 per game.

Connecticut 24, Maryland 21

Maryland coach Randy Edsall lost against his former school in their first meeting since Edsall left the Huskies in 2010. Connecticut’s Lyle McCombs and Scott McCummings both ran for touchdowns and Nick Williams had a 58-yard punt return for another score. The Terrapins almost battled back however, as quarterback Perry Hills led a fourth quarter drive, capped off by his 10-yard touchdown run that cut the lead to three with just over four minutes remaining. However, the Huskie defense held firm in the game’s closing moments, as Maryland’s final drive stalled out at the Connecticut 39, giving the Huskies the victory.

Furman 7, No. 11 Clemson 41

Sammy Watkins had a 58-yard touchdown run in his season debut after being suspended for the first two games, helping lead Clemson to a 41-7 victory. Tajh Boyd threw for 310 yards and three touchdowns while Andre Ellington rushed for two more scores on the ground. The Clemson offense didn’t miss a beat in what amounted to nothing more than a tune-up game ahead of the Tigers match-up next week against Florida State.

Virginia 20, Georgia Tech 56

Georgia Tech’s spread offense worked to perfection as the Yellow Jackets racked up 56 points against Virginia. Georgia Tech’s quarterback Tevin Washington threw a 70-yard touchdown pass on the first play of the game to open the scoring, quickly overwhelming the Cavaliers’ defense. Georgia Tech had gains of at least 60 yards on three of its first four plays of the game. Orwin Smith ran 77 yards for a touchdown and then Washington sprinted for 60 yards to set up another touchdown. The game was essentially over by halftime with the Yellow Jackets ahead, 35-7.

North Carolina 34, No. 19 Louisville 39

North Carolina’s frantic comeback fell just short as Tar Heels quarterback Bryn Renner had his fourth-down pass knocked down in the end zone with just 1:53 left in the game. North Carolina had rallied from a 36-7 deficit against the Cardinals, including 20 fourth quarter points, behind Renner’s five touchdown passes. He finished 26 of 41 for 363 yards. Louisville’s quarterback Teddy Bridgewater threw three touchdowns in the first half and finished with 279 yards to lead the Cardinals.

Boston College 13, Northwestern 22

Northwestern overcame Boston College despite not scoring a touchdown until the final two minutes. Northwestern kicker Jeff Budzien tied a school record with five field goals, helping the Wildcats remain undefeated. Chase Rettig lead Boston College with 291 yards passing and a touchdown, but a key fumble by running back Rolandan Finch on the five yard line cost the Golden Eagles a touchdown and a chance to take the lead late in the game.

South Alabama 7, N.C.  State  31

Wolfpack quarterback Mike Glennon threw for 257 yards and three touchdowns to lead NC State over South Alabama. The Wolfpack defense shut out South Alabama until the closing moments, forcing three turnovers in the process. NC State’s running back Mustafa Green was suspended from the team right before kickoff, but the Wolfpack offense didn’t miss him as Glennon led the team to a 28-0 lead by halftime.

Share and discuss “Week 3 Football: Around the ACC” on social media.