Stroman banned 50 games for PED use

Former Duke baseball player Marcus Stroman has been suspended 50 games by MLB for using Methylhexaneamine.

The suspension will end Stroman's 2012 season and keep him out for the beginning of 2013 as well.

After being selected with the 22nd pick in the first round of this year's Major League Baseball draft, Stroman logged 19.1 innings between Low-A Vancouver and Double-A New Hampshire. His numbers from the two levels combined to form a respectable 3.26 ERA and 1.29 WHIP. He was believed to be a candidate for a September call-up when Major League rosters expand next week.

The MLB released the following statement on Stroman's suspension.

Toronto Blue Jays Minor League right-handed pitcher Marcus Stroman has been suspended for 50 games without pay after testing positive for Methylhexaneamine.  The suspension of Stroman, who is currently on the roster of the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats of the Eastern League, is effective immediately.

Stroman and the Blue Jays both released statements as well. Said Stroman,

"Despite taking precautions to avoid violating the Minor League testing program, I unknowingly ingested a banned stimulant that was in an over-the-counter supplement.  Nonetheless, I accept full responsibility and I want to apologize to the Toronto Blue Jays organization, my family, my teammates, and the Blue Jays fans everywhere.   I look forward to putting this behind me and rejoining my teammates.”

The Toronto Blue Jays' Sr. Vice President Baseball Operations and General Manager Alex Anthopoulos' statement read,

This suspension is unfortunate and we are disappointed by this development.  The Toronto Blue Jays however fully endorse the Major League Baseball’s drug testing policy and support the discipline taken today.

Share and discuss “Stroman banned 50 games for PED use” on social media.