Blue Devils fall to Maryland in semifinal rematch

After clawing back to a 10-8 deficit early in the fourth quarter, Duke surrendered six unanswered goals to Maryland, falling 16-10 in the NCAA tournament semifinal. Maryland’s sharpshooting was on display throughout scoring 16 goals on 29 shots.

With the loss, the Blue Devils fall short of the national championship game for the second consecutive season. The Terrapins advance to Monday’s title game against Loyola (Md.). Maryland is searching for its first national championship since 1975 in a matchup with its fiercest lacrosse rival.

Duke failed to execute in Maryland’s third, especially in man-advantage situations. The Blue Devils’ extra-man unit, which has struggled all season, was unable to convert on multiple opportunities when the deficit was closed to two goals. The Terrapins took advantage of Duke’s inability to score, stringing together six goals to put the game out of reach.

The Blue Devils struggled on the defensive end, allowing its highest goal total of the season. Maryland attacked the center of Duke’s defense as nine different Terrapins found the back of the net. Dan Wigrizer only managed seven saves while allowing 13 goals before he was taken out of the game with 7:29 to play. Both Kyle Turri and Mike Rock saw action in the game’s final minutes as Duke pulled its goalies out of the cage to double the ball in hopes of mounting a comeback.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils fall to Maryland in semifinal rematch” on social media.