ACC play heats up in Georgia

Chase Bebout is one of many pitchers who head coach Sean McNally may call on against the Yellow Jackets.

Duke started the year with a team that was more experienced and ready to take the next step in its quest for an ACC crown. That experience has proven to be much needed while navigating a challenging schedule to begin the season.

Now in the midst of a difficult ACC campaign, that out-of-conference slate has prepared them for their trip to Atlanta this weekend to face No. 21 Georgia Tech for a three-game series (16-10, 4-5 in the ACC).

“This is a really interesting year to get a read on,” head coach Sean McNally said. “We’re trying a different approach scheduling-wise with tough nonconference games. The point is to play well in conference play. We’re 4-5 in the best league in the country, so we’re excited where we are.”

After quality victories over Texas and Miami, as well as a sweep against Virginia Tech, the Blue Devils (11-15, 4-5) have shown they can compete with some of the better teams in the country.

“We’ve proven we’re a good team with [those] wins,” McNally said. “If we pitch strikes, get timely hitting, we can win.... Our starting pitching has been really good.”

Marcus Stroman, whose 60 strikeouts rank third in the country, will take the mound Friday, followed by Trent Swart Saturday and Robert Huber Sunday. Thus far, the trio has amassed a combined 2.94 ERA in 18 total starts, with a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 2.4:1.

The Yellow Jackets, meanwhile, sport a .304 team batting average, as well as an average of nearly eight runs scored per game. In addition, Georgia Tech has amassed 21 home runs to date. McNally said the key to a Duke win will start on the mound.

“We have to have our pitchers attack the strike zone and secure two-out hits,” McNally said. [Georgia Tech] is a very good team, but we like our club, so we’re excited.”

Share and discuss “ACC play heats up in Georgia” on social media.