STINF sees fewer student submissions in Fall 2011

Changes to the short-term illness notification form policies likely contributed to a decrease in student use during the Fall.

Usage of the short-term illness notification form was significantly reduced in Fall 2011 as compared to Fall 2010, said Lee Baker, dean of academic affairs for Trinity College of Arts & Sciences and associate vice provost for undergraduate education. In 2010, 7190 forms were submitted, compared to 5740 submitted last semester—indicating a 20 percent decline, Baker wrote in an email Thursday.

At the beginning of this academic year, the administration—in collaboration with the Honor Council—made changes to the STINF policy in response to the faculty’s concerns of student misuse. Administrators and faculty wanted to increase student accountability, said Norman Keul, an associate dean in Trinity College and adjunct associate professor of German.

“The concern the faculty had, as well as we in the Dean’s office, is that the system was so magnanimous that students could, at two in the morning, submit a STINF,” Keul said. “There was no need to contact the faculty member afterwards to have a conversation and account for their actions.”

Beginning Fall 2011, students were required to contact their professors within 48 hours of submitting the form. Otherwise, professors were under no obligation to accept work from students who miss class.

Keul noted that up until last semester, STINF usage had been steadily increasing since its creation in 2003. It remains unclear whether or not the decline in STINF use in this Fall is a direct result of the changes.

“We’ll of course look at [the numbers] again at the end of the semester to see whether that sort of decline continues,” Keul said. “I have no idea how it will change.”

Some students said their approach to the STINF has not changed at all.

Sophomore Hilary Novatt said she used the STINF last year, and her habits have remained the same.

“I use it when I need it, and I think I know when I need it,” Novatt said.

Junior Matt Carder said he received an email at the beginning of the year that urged students to only use the STINF when it was essential. The email, which was sent by Baker, did not have any effect on the way he views the form, and he said he believes that is also the case for his peers.

“It’s probably still used the same way,” he said, noting that he has not used the form yet this year.

Elizabeth Fox, director of the Academic Advising Center and associate dean of Trinity College, said the changes served to clarify the original purpose of the STINF system as it was conceived eight years ago.

“Faculty had questions, students had questions, I as a dean had questions, and we just needed to take a moment to reflect on... the good outcome we want as a result of the short-term illness notification form,” Fox said. “[The goal is] to help students communicate effectively without having to get out of their pajamas, and for faculty to be informed in a timely manner.”

Fox noted that STINF misuse is a possibility, but said it ultimately helps students.

“What a great thing to be able to trust students,” Fox said. “This is really meant as a way to help them.”

Share and discuss “STINF sees fewer student submissions in Fall 2011” on social media.