SLGs extend more than 400 bids

Bid numbers provided by Selective House Council.

In a year when the number of selective living groups almost doubled, interest in SLGs has remained steady.

Nineteen selective living groups extended more than 400 bids to students after a three-week rush process that began in January. Black Culture Living Group is still actively recruiting new members, and Latino Cultural Interest House has not yet been in contact with the Selective House Council, which manages the SLGs, said SHC Chair Dani Roselius, a senior. Brownstone gave out the highest number of bids at 40, followed by Maxwell House, which gave out 37 bids.

“The numbers of people in general that rushed have definitely increased with all the new groups taking in pretty large groups of freshmen and sophomores,” Roselius said.

The number of SLGs grew from 11 last year to 19 this year after new groups were invited to form in preparation for the transition to the house model, effective Fall 2012. The house model granted many SLGs larger sections with more beds to fill, so many groups had to take more members than usual, said SHC Vice Chair Lee Gilbert, a junior.

This year, SLG rush was governed by a new policy, which included guidelines such as allowing groups to have their own rush schedule. Although most groups ended rush Jan. 29, Maxwell House ended their rush process and extended bids a few days earlier than other SLGs after undergoing sanctions from the Office of Student Conduct, said Maxwell House Rush Chair Evan Williams, a junior.

“There was a general consensus on how the [rush timeline] would take place,” Roselius said. “But if it was cut short for some groups, there was definitely confusion for other groups.”

New SLGs had a successful rush process, with many groups extending similar numbers of bids as established SLGs as the Asian Cultural Interest group extended 36 bids.

Cooper House, a new SLG formerly referred to as Forum, had a successful first year of rush and offered 29 bids, said sophomore Autri Chattopadhyay, one of the founders of Cooper House.

“Rush was a very organic process for us,” Chattopadhyay said. “We tried to approach the process in a way so we could get know everyone the best we could. [This] was actually one of the most meaningful things I’ve been a part of at Duke.”

Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity offered 34 bids and Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity extended 23.

A large number of students initially expressed interest in rushing SLGs. About 200 signed up for Ubuntu’s email updates, said Ubuntu Rush co-Chair Connor Cotton, a sophomore. Williams added that about 245 students registered for Maxwell House rush.

Freshman Shelly Li, a new member of The Nexus, said she found SLG rush to be more relaxing than the structured Panhellenic Association recruitment process in which many of her friends participated. Li noted that she was reluctant to live on Central Campus—where The Nexus section is located—but said she has since warmed up to the idea.

“Everyone was really welcoming, and the people in SLGs really made an effort to learn your names,” she said. “I really felt at home.”

Share and discuss “SLGs extend more than 400 bids” on social media.