’cuz it’s fun!

When one considers the multitude of organizations and resources that are currently available to aid those dealing with cancer, it seems that there is no shortage of support for these individuals. Such prominent cancer-related foundations such as Livestrong, The V Foundation and Susan G. Komen for the Cure have collectively raised billions of dollars for research and direct support for cancer patients. Important progress to increase cancer awareness has been made at a grassroots level as well, as evidenced by the abundance of pink clothing donned every October in support of breast cancer patients and the increasingly popular “Movember” movement to encourage regular prostate exams for men.

These foundations and movements serve a significant purpose by providing resources for those stricken with cancer and money to fund research toward potential cures, but there is one demographic that is profoundly affected by cancer and receives very little attention and support—the children of cancer patients. These children often demonstrate higher rates of depression, anxiety, psychosomatic symptoms and sleep difficulties than their peers with healthy parents. Moreover, children of cancer patients are more prone to interpersonal conflict, difficulties in school and risk-taking behavior. Unfortunately, the plight of these children is often overlooked in the midst of their parent’s sickness and the concomitant physical, emotional and financial strain that cancer imparts on the family.

The mission of Camp Kesem North Carolina (CKNC) is to provide a much-needed outlet for these children. CKNC is a free, one-week camp for children whose parents have or have had cancer, run by 60 undergraduate counselors from Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill. Entering its 10th summer of existence, CKNC now serves more than 120 campers ages 6 to 16. Although the ostensible camp experience is comparable to most typical summer camps—featuring a rock wall, archery, canoeing and arts and crafts, among other activities—CKNC offers a uniquely transformative environment due to the common experience shared by all campers. Almost without exception, every camper who leaves at the end of the week conveys the same basic message: “It means so much to know that there are other people in my same situation.” During this one week, these campers are afforded what they so desperately seek the other 51 weeks of the year, but often fail to receive: genuine empathy, the kind that can only be provided by those with similar experiences.

Unlike other therapeutic summer camps, CKNC places no explicit emphasis on the issue of cancer, and counselors do not bring this topic up unless prompted by their campers. The experience is all about having as much fun as possible and remembering what it feels like to be a kid, as evidenced by our motto “’cuz it’s fun!” It is our philosophy that if the campers are provided with an environment that is fun, safe and free of the stresses they typically encounter, the therapy will happen on its own. Indeed, the vast majority of discussion surrounding the topic of cancer is initiated by the campers and directed at fellow campers. This focus on fun appears to have significant long-term benefits. Parents of CKNC campers have reported to us that their children overwhelmingly display improvements in self-esteem, communication and stress reduction that last beyond this one week.

It is nearly impossible to convey how profoundly this week of camp impacts everyone involved. I could try to describe the closing campfires, when campers share their stories and are comforted by their peers, as young as eight or nine years-old. I could tell about the three siblings who lost their father mid-week one summer but elected to stay at camp to be with their friends. I could describe the talent shows, when a seven-year-old who lost his mother the previous year put on a break-dancing display worthy of “America’s Best Dance Crew.” Still, none of this would fully capture the love, friendship and healing that takes place during Camp Kesem.

So how can you get involved? CKNC is affiliated with a national Camp Kesem organization, which supports 38 Camp Kesems at colleges and universities across the country, so this important service is not exclusive to the state of North Carolina. Counselor applications for CKNC will be accepted until March 7 and can be found on our website: www.campkesem.org/northcarolina. Additionally, CKNC raises $45,000 each year to provide the camp experience free of charge to families dealing with the financial burden of cancer, so donations are always welcomed. Even something as simple as spreading the word about CKNC and our mission to families and children in need would help a great deal to further our cause.

Camp Kesem offers campers an opportunity to grow and heal, families a time to recover and counselors an opportunity for leadership. But ultimately, its benefit for all involved can be summarized in three words: ’cuz it’s fun!

Ben Frush is a Trinity senior and the former co-director of Camp Kesem North Carolina. This column is the seventh installment in a semester-long series of weekly columns written by dPS members addressing civic service and engagement at Duke. Follow dPS on Twitter @dukePS

Share and discuss “’cuz it’s fun!” on social media.