Former Grad School Dean Wright dies

Jo Rae Wright, former dean of the Graduate School and professor of cell biology, medicine and pediatrics, passed away Wednesday morning after a long fight against breast cancer.

Wright’s death is an unspeakably tragic event for the University and for the Graduate School, said interim Graduate School Dean David Bell, adding that her passing at such a young age—she was 56—makes the event especially sad.

Wright stepped down from her position as Graduate School dean and vice provost for graduate education in October 2011 after her battle with breast cancer worsened and her treatments became less predictable. Bell, then senior associate dean of the Graduate School, succeeded Wright.

“I don’t feel that I can continue to make commitments to travel as a dean must,” Wright wrote in an Oct. 19 email to The Chronicle.

After she stepped down, Wright continued to teach full time as a professor in the department of cell biology and run her laboratory.

Wright studied at West Virginia University, where she earned a Ph.D. in physiology. She then completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of California at San Francisco and worked in the UCSF’s Cardiovascular Research Institute.

She began her Duke career in 1993 as an associate professor and was awarded Duke’s Excellence in Basic Science Teaching Award twice. She was appointed associate dean for graduate programs in 2000 and then vice dean of the basic sciences in the Duke University Medical School in 2002. In 2006, she became dean of the Graduate School.

During her time as Graduate School dean, Wright started a Graduate School Board of Visitors, transformed the school’s budgetary process and oversaw the expansion of multiple master’s programs, Provost Peter Lange said.

Wright also made significant strides as a cell biologist—her research about the protective role of lung surfactants made a significant impact in understanding lung failure, Lange added. The American Physiological Society awarded Wright with a Walter B. Cannon Award for lifetime achievement in 2005. Wright became president of the American Thoracic Society in 2008.

“That’s a pretty big legacy on multiple fronts during not that long of a time,” Lange said.

Colleagues and administrators are mourning Wright’s passing but laud her warm personality and strong passion to improve the Graduate School.

“She had such passion and investment in the vision for the Graduate School,” Bell said. “She was a wonderfully warm person but also a firm and transparent leader. Everyone who worked for her knew exactly what goals were in place.”

Sally Kornbluth, vice dean for research at the Duke University School of Medicine, said Wright was a caring administrator and a strong mentor to students.

“She just put her heart and soul into improving the lives of graduate students,” Kornbluth said.

Wright was an incredible role model for female students especially, Kornbluth noted.

“She managed to be an outstanding scientist and dedicated administrator while maintaining a warm and friendly demeanor,” Kornbluth said. “She was busy all the time but treated everyone with such warmth and professionalism.”

In December, the University established the Jo Rae Wright Fellowship for Outstanding Women in Science to honor Wright. The fellowship will recognize one female Ph.D. student in the biomedical sciences and one in the natural sciences who display creativity and promise in their research.

Funeral arrangements for Wright are not yet finalized.

Share and discuss “Former Grad School Dean Wright dies” on social media.