Wenger inks deal with Generation adidas, will forego senior season

Junior Andrew Wenger has become the first-ever Blue Devil to sign a contract with Generation adidas, ending his collegiate soccer career, Duke announced in a press release. He will enter the 2012 MLS SuperDraft, which takes place Jan. 12 in Kansas City.

"It's actually very exciting," Wenger said. "At some point I'm sure it will be a little stressful trying to get everything worked out and making sure everything is working out right, but it's very exciting. I think if I wasn't in this position I'd be killing to be in this position, so I'm blessed to be in it."

Wenger was named one of three finalists for the Hermann Trophy this season after earning ACC offensive player of the year and first team all-American honors. The award will be announced Jan. 6 in St. Louis. He was named ACC rookie of the year in 2009 before ACC defensive player of the year the following season. The junior was also recently called up to the U-23 United States national team as a defender.

"I want to graduate from Duke at some point and I have a plan in place to do that while I am still playing so that once I'm done I can go on and have a seamless transition between my playing career and doing something else professionally," Wenger said.

Share and discuss “Wenger inks deal with Generation adidas, will forego senior season” on social media.