SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Stout Eagle defense to test Blue Devils

With just two conference matches left, the Blue Devils continue their chase for home-field advantage in the ACC tournament when they take on Boston College in Chestnut Hill Saturday.

Duke is looking to rebound from a tough loss at then-No. 3 Maryland last weekend, and keep pace in a tightly-packed group at the top of the conference standings.

The matchup with No. 18 Boston College (10-4-0, 2-3-0 in the ACC) could prove decisive, as an Eagles victory would bring them within one point of the Blue Devils in the conference standings, and be a squandered opportunity for a Duke squad looking to secure a home opener in the ACC tournament.

“We have a bit of a storied history with Boston College,” goalkeeper James Belshaw said. “We played them in the ACC tournament my first two years. There was a bit of revenge on our minds when we went up there last time and we lost 2-0. We were the better team that day and if we can go up there and play like we know we can, we’ll be fine.”

The Blue Devils (7-5-1, 3-2-1) have spent the last week practicing on artificial turf to prepare for Newton Campus Field—home of the Eagles—which is the only turf field in the ACC.

“It’s totally different [to play on turf],” head coach John Kerr said. “It’s a different game altogether. The ball keeps running away from you. Your passing has to be different. You can’t play a through ball or it’ll just roll to the goalie or out of bounds. You have to play with the ball at your feet.”

The match may come down to whether the Blue Devils can control the midfield and remain disciplined on their third of the pitch, Kerr said. The head coach also said that his team’s failure to do just that last Friday against the Terrapins led to an overly fatigued back four, which allowed three second-half Maryland goals in a 4-2 loss.

The Boston College attack is not as strong as the Terrapins’, but getting behind the Eagles’ defense will pose enough of a challenge. Goalkeeper Justin Luthy has already recorded five shutouts this season—tied for the ACC lead—and has allowed just 1.16 goals per game overall.

“They’re well fitted,” Kerr said. “They are very conservative defensively, they tuck in well and are very difficult to break down. Even at home they like to beat you on the counterattack. They allow you to come into their half of the field, and once you’re there they pressure you to get the ball and attack.”

Junior co-captain Andrew Wenger will lead a Blue Devil offense that averages 2.38 goals per game, good for fifth in the nation. The reigning ACC defensive player of the year has shown no growing pains in his transition forward, and ranks first and fourth in the nation with 2.85 points and 1.15 goals per game, respectively.

Duke, coming off its first loss in eight matches, will look to start a similar streak as the battle for home-field advantage in the conference tournament heats up. A win in Chestnut Hill, plus a Maryland loss at North Carolina, would put the two Tobacco Road schools tied atop the standings—though Duke has played an extra game.

“The carrot at the end of the year is that you get home field advantage in the first round of the ACC tournament if you’re one of the top four teams,” Kerr said. “We’re trying to get in that position and a win at Boston College would put us a lot closer to that goal.”

Share and discuss “Stout Eagle defense to test Blue Devils” on social media.