Second weekend soundoff

From freshmen naively referring to Gameday as “tailgate,” to seniors unaware that Gameday even took place, students on campus expressed starkly contrasting opinions—not to mention, sophomores that didn’t remember much of this weekend and those notorious unidentified Duke students who were warned not to comment on anything. Marked by the second Gameday for an important home football game against Stanford and the first weekend of section parties were permitted after an initial probationary period—this weekend proved that Duke has yet to settle down into a routine. New administrative regulations on social gatherings, regarding the midday Southern-style tailgate and late-night quad-ragers make it difficult to sum up Duke’s overall feeling towards the past weekend.

“I think the new Gameday makes it inherently easier for fraternities to be successful because they have the social structure to support it…. Also, it was f---ing hot.” —Danielle Roselius, senior

“There were simply not enough tu-tus at Gameday. I only saw like, one.” —Walker Schiff, sophomore

“I think it fractions the school community and creates cliques—there’s no camaraderie anymore.” —Winston Riddick, sophomore

“The administration’s draconian micromanaging of Football Gameday was frustrating. Knowing peope that have worked with the administration, it’s disappointing how often we hear ‘no.’ But the black light/’80s party was rad.” —Jacob Tobia, sophomore

“I actually liked Gameday. It really promotes school spirit and it was great seeing everyone in their colors on the quad… [However] I think the banning section parties for the first couple weeks sends mixed messages to the freshmen, making parties seem exclusive, as if you have to know the right people.” —Hannah Schechter, junior

“What’s Gameday?” —Shreyan Sen, senior, in what he thought of Football Gameday

“There’s nothing to get people hyped up about football games anymore. Tailgate was part of Duke, it was what football season was all about.” —Stephen Castiglione, junior

“To be honest, I didn’t even go to Gameday, and I never would have missed Tailgate.” —Sagar Naik, junior

“A lot of Duke is about the balance between studying and partying—I think that delaying the open, freshman-experience parties made this year a bit underwhelming.” —Ajeet Hansra, sophomore

“The section party was miserable. I got trampled and everyone was sweaty.” —Mary Damico, freshman

“Weekends at Duke are always fun. Tailgate was great and the section parties were awesome.” —Harley Grant, freshman

“The administration want to change the culture here, and I think they’re doing a good job. It remains to be seen if the fraternities, SLGs and other groups on campus will pay along for long enough. It’s an interesting battle of wills.” —Max Coar, sophomore

Share and discuss “Second weekend soundoff” on social media.