Durham restaurants welcome back students

As students arrived at Duke for the school year, Durham eateries prepared to welcome everyone home by equipping their businesses with new systems, employees and bargains.

Enzo’s Pizza Company added drivers, hours and employees to better serve students’ late night cravings. Nosh doubled their staff, invested in a new phone system to take more efficient ordersand expanded outdoor seating. Mount Fuji drew in students with a buy-one-get-one-free sushi deal.

But these were simply standard adjustments. Every conversation with a restaurant owner quickly revealed the true blue blood that runs through the Duke and Durham communities, linking them together.

“Of course Duke students have a huge financial impact on our restaurant,” said Nosh owner Wendy Woods. “But more important than that is the community and family feel that our students give to our restaurant and staff.”

Shooters II owner Kim Cates echoed this family mentality.

“I honestly believe that with our attitude and how we handle things make it like a family here," Cates said. "You come here, and it feels like home.”

Like a loving parent, Cates ensures that Duke students stay safe when they come to her bar for a ride on the bull or a dance in the cage. Shooters added more buses to transport large groups to and from the bar, and they also shifted the underage line to the side of the building so that students no longer have to stand in the street.

“We know we have a place where everyone can go and be safe,” Cates said.

Beyond that, Shooters is a Duke attraction—a melting pot where all students from all backgrounds can come for a good time.

“We don’t only cater to Greek organizations or athletes,” Cates said. “We cater to the entire Duke University.”

Gene Devines, Duke alum (’75) and owner of Devines Restaurant and Sports Bar, maintains the same priorities.

“Back in ’77, there weren’t a lot of people going out in Durham, and instead people were going to Chapel Hill,” Devines said. “So I wanted to fill that gap and keep students in Durham.”

Devines’ success is especially evident during football season as the community flocks to this sports bar.

"We try to prosper a relationship with [the students] so they can come out, enjoy themselves and get great wings,” Devines said.

The Duke-Durham connection runs deeper as both communities support each other through charities and events. Enzo’s provided free pizzas for the freshman orientation waterslide and continues to work closely with Duke cancer drives and promotional events. Additionally, both Enzo’s and Nosh advertise in The Chronicle.

Through entertainment, good food and service, Duke students and Durham restaurant owners have cultivated a relationship that connects the University to the surrounding community. For students, these places have become a home away from home.

“As an owner, I didn’t know that we would become so attached to the students,” Woods said. “We’re very proud of them, and they’ve never acted inappropriately in this restaurant. We look forward to them coming back every year.”

Share and discuss “Durham restaurants welcome back students” on social media.