DSG Duke-Durham relations candidates

false

Sophia Palenberg/The Chronicle

The seven candidates for the Duke-Durham relations branch of the Senate are Will Giles, Bret Lesavoy, Rebecca Holmes, Heather Durham, Avery Cordèon Morton , Christine Schindler, Miranda Goodwin-Raab, Derek Rhodes. The voting process will take place on Monday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. via a link that will be sent to each students’ Duke email account. The Chronicle's Andrew Karim spoke with five candidates about their campaigns. Avery Cordèon Morton, Will Giles and Rebecca Holmes declined an interview.

The Chronicle: What is your platform?

Heather Durham: Increase and enhance student interaction with Durham. This can be achieved by increasing the number of Duke sponsored events in Durham, such as at DPAC and providing busing to and from these events.... My second goal would be to strengthen Duke’s philanthropic presence in the Durham community through larger initiatives for participation in community programs, like America Reads and ASPIRE, and an expansion of the number and variety of service learning courses.

Miranda Goodwin-Raab: My platform is to improve the relationship between Duke students and the larger Durham community.... Hopefully, direct communication such as feedback from Durham organizations or individuals who have interacted with the Duke community, as well as vice versa with opinions from the students will help to reach a sound relationship.

Bret  Lesavoy: If elected to be Senator for Durham and Regional Affairs, my primary goals would be to increase opportunities for Duke/Durham interaction. Not only would I focus on improving the social scene for Duke students in Durham, but I would also like to provide Duke students the ability to intern during the school year and summer for local businesses around Durham.

Derek Rhodes: Making the accomplishments and research of Duke students more visible in Durham; more discount programs for Duke students throughout Durham; work with Student Affairs office to expand Devils After Dark programs to events in Durham; increase service learning projects and extend Duke research projects with North Carolina Central University; increasing Duke student visibility at local City Council meetings and quarterly meetings with the Mayor and government officials.

Christine Schindler: I want to improve student involvement in the Durham community, especially for freshmen living on East Campus, by increasing awareness of community projects and making sure there is transportation available to service sites. I also want to make sure students know about the ways to get into Durham, and to make these transportation options more available, as well as adding more access to busses for transportation to Target and other areas which are popular destinations for students.

TC: What do you want the Duke Student body to know about you?

HD: With years of leadership in student government, involvement in community programs benefitting children with cancer and children with learning disabilities, and familiarity in planning community charity events, I understand the challenges of community outreach and involvement.... I’m simply extremely enthusiastic about reaching out to others and having a positive impact on the community we live in.

MG: I participated in Project Change.... During this week I worked at a nonprofit in Durham and I am currently enrolled in a service learning course in which we work at a local charter school.... I want the position to contribute to the efforts of exploring the multidimensional relationship between the two.

BL: I hope that I am given the chance to implement fun and beneficial activities on and off campus to show how much I truly care about Duke. I am determined, motivated and love meeting new classmates everyday. I will never give up and would really appreciate your support!

DR: I’ve lived in Durham my entire life and growing up in this city has fostered an unmatched enthusiasm for the incredible people of Duke and Durham. I have formed amicable, professional relationships with a variety of community groups, organizations and leaders who can help fulfill our platform and goals.... [I] served for three years on the Durham Youth Commission as Community Affairs Officer where I worked with City Council to address the needs of Durham youth.

CS: My name is Christine Schindler, and I have your back.

TC: Why do you want this position?

HD: I would love to take on the challenge of assisting the Durham/Regional Affairs committee in not only helping out Durham, but also helping Duke students enjoy and embrace all that Durham has to offer.

BL: I want to be Senator for Durham and Regional Affairs because I really think that I have ideas that can make a difference.

DR: I am driven by deep desire to work for the students here at Duke. This position will allow me to continue my involvement in student government, allow me to continue meeting the awesome members of the Class of 2015 and allow me to fully express the awesomeness of Durham.

CS: When I was a part of the pre-orientation program Project Build before school started, I had the amazing opportunity to travel all over Durham and do seemingly small jobs in community service sites that many students don't even know exist.... I want to encourage students to...really get involved, because we all live in Durham and making Durham better is making our home better too.

The Chronicle: How do you plan on improving Duke-Durham relations?

HD: It’s vital that Duke continues to pursue programs assisting the Durham area. Through initiatives for increased service learning in the community, continued expansion of programs involving Duke’s youth, and more involvement in Durham affairs and events, a variety of groups will form close ties with the community.

BL: I plan to improve Duke-Durham relations by providing weekly bus trips to the Tobacco District and to other places around the Durham area in order to explore what Durham has to offer Duke and what us Duke students have to offer Durham. By providing internships for Duke students in Durham, the level of interaction will increase, and I feel the respect that we have for each other will also increase.

DR: My major plan of action is mostly increasing communication between Duke University and the City of Durham as I hope we will attend City Council meetings, hosting quarterly committee meetings with the Mayor, writing press releases for the local newspaper, The Herald Sun, work with local businesses and professionals, and other goals that I have outlined in my platform.

CS: I think that with more students involved in small activities and service sites in Durham—whether they are helping at a school, sorting papers or mulching a park, Duke-Durham relations are going to improve.

Share and discuss “DSG Duke-Durham relations candidates” on social media.