Q&A with the Class of 2015: becoming Dukies

Generic Script

Meet more of the Class of 2015—they will be flooding campus in less than two months. The Chronicles Melissa Dalis asked 15 incoming freshmen about what they are most and least excited for at Duke, which clubs and organizations they plan to join and what they are doing this summer. In Part 1 of this two-part series, Q&A with the Class of 2015: Who are they?, 16 different students discussed their lives before Duke.

Rob Bruce (Atlanta, GA) is a prospective electrical and computer engineering and computer science double major who describes himself as amiable, sociable and a climber.

Generic Script

The Chronicle: What are you most excited for at Duke?

Rob Bruce: Making new friends.

TC: What are you least excited for?

RB: Homework.

TC: What clubs and organizations do you plan to join?

RB: Duke Outing Club [and] frisbee team.

TC: What are you doing this summer?

RB: Working a job at the climbing gym, taking climbing trips, hanging out with friends, and playing summer league ultimate frisbee.

Anna Cheng (Tampa, FL) is a prospective biology major who describes herself as quirky, sociable and outgoing.

Generic Script

Anna Cheng: I am most excited to meet new people and have some newfound freedom!

TC: What are you least excited for?

AC: I am least excited for having to share bathrooms with a bunch of other people—but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

AC: I'm hoping to join The Chronicle, specifically the Recess section. I hope to carry on my skills from being Features Editor for my high school newspaper to Duke's very own—and rather awesome—publication.

TC: What are you doing this summer?

AC: I am interning at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center [and] also going to visit China (oh, the motherland...) for three weeks.

Danielle Colson (Pines, FL) is a prospective mechanical engineering major who describes herself as kind, hardworking and friendly.

Generic Script

Danielle Colson: Tenting, basketball season, Shooters [and] making friends.

TC: What are you least excited for?

DC: The food—I'm going to miss my dad's amazing cooking every night.

TC: Which clubs and organizations do you plan to join?

DC: Engineers Without Borders, Relay for Life [and] club volleyball.

TC: What are you doing this summer?

DC: Working too much to help pay for Duke.

Lia Cromwell (Scarsdale, NY) is a prospective economics and Spanish double major who describes herself as outgoing, active and short.

Generic Script

Lia Cromwell: New acquaintances to ask if I: a) am related to Oliver Cromwell; or b) know the Cromwells from "Halloweentown." (The answer is yes to both).

TC: What are you least excited for?

LC: New acquaintances to ask if I: a) am related to Oliver Cromwell; or b) know the Cromwells from "Halloweentown." (People are not clever in asking).

LC: Mock trial or debate and possibly club field hockey.

TC: What are you doing this summer?

LC: I'm interning for my county's Board of Legislators.

Sierra Crowe (Anchorage, AK) is a prospective environmental science major who describes herself as young, wild and free.

Generic Script

Sierra Crowe: Opportunity.

TC: What are you least excited for?

SC: Lack of air conditioning.

SC: Outing club, environmental alliance [and] soccer.

TC: What are you doing this summer?

SC: Getting a private pilot's license, scuba and paragliding certificates, working at a medical clinic and having a good time.

Matt Darlow (Houston, TX) is a prospective neuroscience major who describes himself as debonair, scholarly and a swag[ger].

Generic Script

Matt Darlow: I'm most excited [to be] absorbed in the complete Duke culture—the clothing, traditions and hating UNC.

TC: What are you least excited for?

MD: I'm least excited for colder weather because North Carolina, although in the South, is still [further] north than Texas.

MD: I'll definitely join several intramural teams [and] maybe some TV clubs if there are any—hopefully Family Guy!

TC: What are you doing this summer?

MD: Besides relaxing for the majority of the summer, I'm going to be interning with a neurosurgeon.

Christine Delp (Fuquay-Varina, NC) is a prospective public policy major who describes herself as determined, inquisitive and creative.

Generic Script

Christine Delp: I am most excited for the interesting dialogue and overall learning experiences that come with meeting fascinating people at Duke. I am also really excited about the Focus program—I am in the Ethics, Leadership and Global Citizenship cluster.

TC: What are you least excited for?

CD: I am least excited for the stress of college, though I think I am well prepared for it.

CD: I am interested in volunteer programs, particularly DukeEngage and tutoring in Durham public schools, and I am also interested in some sort of Christian fellowship group.

TC: What are you doing this summer?

CD: Over the summer I am spending a week in the Tennessee mountains to rock climb and white-water raft, and I am spending a week in the North Carolina mountains at a Christian camp.

Daniel Ding (Charlotte, NC) is a prospective mathematics and economics double major who describes himself as full of fun.

Generic Script

Daniel Ding: The social events, the academic freedom [and] college life in general.

DD: Probably some clubs that pertain to my majors like the Math Union or Investment Club, as well as a club or intramural sport.

TC: What are you doing this summer?

DD: Starcraft.

Nali Gillespie (Ramona, CA) is a prospective biology and dance double major who describes herself as passionate, eccentric and a ballet die-hard.

Generic Script

Nali Gillespie: Meeting inspiring, amazing people, the lemur center and snow (symptom of living in southern California).

TC: What are you least excited about?

NG: 8:30 a.m. classes and 12 meals per week.

NG: Dance clubs, pre-health club, Duke Democrats and a community service organization (not sure which organization yet, though I've volunteered with the March of Dimes in the past).

TC: What are you doing this summer?

NG: I will be raising animals as part of my local 4-H chapter for the Ramona Jr. Fair....I've helped deliver close to 100 baby goats over my lifetime.

Christina Lee (Hillsborough, NC) is a prospective economics and statistics double major who describes herself as bubbly, empathetic and dedicated.

Generic Script

Christina Lee: Meeting everyone and the sunny weather.

TC: What are you least excited for?

CL: Scheduling classes and college exams. My biggest fear about college is cutthroat competition, though I don't think Duke will really be like that.

CL: I figure that they'll probably be recruiting frosh with fairs and what-not, so I'll check that stuff out once I'm actually on campus.

TC: What are you doing this summer?

CL: I'm working as a temporary customer service associate and hanging out with my friends.

Jennifer Margono (Palatine, IL) is a prospective biology and dance double major who describes herself as sensitive, smiley and wonkey.

Generic Script

Jennifer Margono: The people. I've already met some of the most amazing individuals in my class, and I haven't even stepped on campus. I've met kids from Alaska to Pennsylvia, Ethiopia to London, and each has a unique perspective on life. Our love for Duke brings us all together in one place, and I can already tell that the Class of 2015 is going to be really close.

TC: What are you least excited for?

JM: Learn[ing] time management. Between pursuing interests in the sciences and the arts, while struggling in pre-med courses, going to dance classes, hanging out with friends, volunteering, etc., I hope I'll be intelligent enough to schedule some sleep once in a while. I might bring a special mini-pillow for those fabled cram sessions in the library.

JM: I'll be a part of the dance program, hopefully doing performances such as ChoreoLab and November Dances. Although I don't have much hip hop experience, I'd use the little swag I have to try out for defMo. Other organizations I'd be interested in would be AAA, student government, AMSA [American Medical Student Organization] pre-med and clubs involving service activities either in the Durham area or abroad.

TC: What are you doing this summer?

JM: This summer I decided to kick back, relax and get ready for Duke.

Vijay Menon (Saratoga, CA) is a prospective economics major who describes himself as articulate, jocular and unathletic.

Generic Script

Vijay Menon: I'm looking forward to my first semester Global Health class with Professor Dan Ariely. I'm reading Predictably Irrational, and it is pretty neat that my introduction to Duke will be with the author of that book.

TC: What are you least excited for?

VM: As a Bay Area kid, I'm not looking forward to the snow in the winter. I thought the South was supposed to be warm!

VM: I did mock trial, debate, quiz bowl and newspaper in high school, so I'd like to continue in at least one of those at Duke.

TC: What are you doing this summer?

VM: This is probably the last free summer of life, so I'm doing absolutely nothing—just enjoying a California summer.

Bradley Skyes (Tampa, FL) is a prospective economics major who describes himself as sincere, motivated and personable.

Generic Script

Bradley Skyes: Entering a new stage of life, one in which I have greater independence and responsibility.

TC: What are you least excited for?

BS: The possibility of an overwhelmingly difficult course load.

TC: Which clubs and organizations do you think you’ll join?

BS: Some intramural leagues (basketball, tennis, baseball, etc.), some Christian fellowship organizations and possibly political organizations.

TC: What are you doing over the summer?

BS: Not much—spending time with my closest friends before we all leave for our own schools and reading mostly.

Kelsey Sturman (Wesley Chapel, FL) is a prospective biology major who describes herself as outspoken, eccentric and energetic.

Generic Script

Kelsey Sturman: I'm most excited to meet new people and expand my interests. I'm also looking forward to studying abroad, and I hope to participate in DukeEngage.

TC: What are you least excited for?

KS: I'm least excited for the workload because I know it will be far more rigorous than high school.

KS: I want to join a club sport, but I haven't decided which one, and I'm also interested in student government, which I was really active in in high school.

TC: What are you doing over the summer?

KS: I'm planning to work a lot and save up money for the school year. I'm also going on a weeklong camping trip at the end of July with my entire family. Other than that, I just plan on going to the beach and catching up on some summer reading.

Dan Sykora (Hinsdale, IL) is a prospective mathematics and chemistry double major who describes himself as down to earth.

Generic Script

Dan Sykora: Becoming a Cameron Crazie, meeting everyone I've been Facebook stalking since December, engulfing myself in enriching academic pursuits, killing brain cells and sweating.

DS: Club basketball—something that keeps me out of the dorm.

TC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

DS: Owning a company and making fat stacks to support my ostentatious lifestyle.

Share and discuss “Q&A with the Class of 2015: becoming Dukies” on social media.