Georgia takes down Blue Devils in NCAA semifinals

Duke's upset-filled run through the NCAA Men's Golf Championship ended today after losing 3-2 to Georgia in the match play semifinals.

Freshman Austin Cody teed off first for the Blue Devils against Bryden McPherson. After a back-and-forth match that saw both golfers hold the lead, Cody found himself two strokes back with three holes remaining. After halving the gap with a win on the 16th, though, Cody bogeyed the 17th to fall 2-and-1.

Duke rallied with the next two victories, with Julian Suri and Wes Roach posting 3-and-2 and 2-and-1 victories, respectively. Suri rallied past T.J. Mitchell with wins on four straight holes on the back nine, improving his season match play record to 5-0-1. Roach, in his final match as a Blue Devil, used wins on holes 3, 5, 6 and 7 to take a lead he would never relinquish.

However, from the start, honorable mention All-American Brinson Paolini struggled in his match against the Bulldogs' Harris English. Paolini dropped four straight holes on the front nine and never recovered, falling 5-and-4.

Georgia's Russell Henley secured the Bulldogs' victory down the stretch with three wins on the back nine to earn a 2-and-1 victory over Duke's Tim Gornik. Gornik conceded a short par putt to Henley on the 16th hole, ending the Blue Devils' season.

Share and discuss “Georgia takes down Blue Devils in NCAA semifinals” on social media.