Class of 2015 on College Confidential

With colleges recently sending out their decisions to their prospective classes of 2015, this is a very exciting time for those of us already in college. Not because we get to relax while friends from high school stress about which school to choose, nor because of any excitement at a new class of freshman. No, college decision season is exciting for us because we get to sit back and read through the insanity that is College Confidential.

In case you are not familiar, College Confidential is a website that offers anyone the opportunity to discuss any aspect of any college. Over the years, this general aim has simplified to high school students posting their “stats,” pretending to think they are horrible, and asking if they can get into a certain school. Anxious parents also frequent the discussion boards, trying to glean tips on how to steer their eighth grade children to success.

The website has become particularly entertaining over the past few weeks, as discussion boards have come to life with recent applicants rejoicing over acceptances, lamenting their rejections, and ambivalence toward being wait-listed.

“Holy...?!!? IS THIS REAL LIFE?!!?!?! Never been happier!!!” says hl0523, a student recently accepted after being deferred from early decision. Along the same lines, massgirl92 writes “thank GOD I never gave up on them. Today is the BEST DAY EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!” Like hl0523, massgirl92 was accepted after being deferred from early decision. Congratulations to both.

For some people, the initial reaction was more a sigh of relief than a shout of joy. “First reaction? 'Thank God...'" wrote dprichey after being accepted into Trinity. Likewise, icapax felt nervous opening up the decision page. “But after I saw the word, "Congratulations," total relief. I'M GOING TO COLLEGE.”

Even some who were rejected sounded grateful. Aznmeeagi thought, “the rejection letter sounded more thoughtful than others and I appreciated that. Way to keep it classy, Duke (;”

Once you have had your share of reading through these comments, take some time to appreciate the variety of usernames. There are many of the basic “name+number” combinations, but you will also find some more interesting combinations. So far, RageoftheMonkey has won my heart. Luckily, Rage has been accepted and is strongly considering Duke—I’ll be on the lookout for some angry primate during Blue Devil Days.

Share and discuss “Class of 2015 on College Confidential” on social media.