Blue Devils stunned by Spartans at home

Despite Duke’s unexpected loss to UNC-G, Jeff Kremer went 2-for-4 yesterday, and he reached base for the 30th straight game.

After a tough series against Virginia over the weekend, it was no surprise that Duke (20-20) came out and scored three runs in the first inning against UNC-Greensboro (19-16).

The 5-4 final score in favor of the Spartans, however, was not the result the Blue Devils were looking for in their return to Jack Coombs Field last night.

“We had a great opportunity tonight to get back out there at home and got off to such a good start and just couldn’t sustain it,” head coach Sean McNally said. “We had plenty of pitches to hit, plenty of opportunities to score and just couldn’t take advantage.”

Duke started the game well, scoring three runs against starting pitcher Andrew Spleth, who was pulled from the game without recording a single out. Greg Smith then came in and allowed only one run over four innings of relief, killing any kind of offensive momentum the Blue Devils developed.

Starting pitcher Robert Huber delivered a solid performance from the mound for Duke, retiring the first five batters of the game. Overall, Huber pitched 6 and 2/3 innings, allowing only two earned runs while also striking out five. It was the third straight start the freshman pitcher had thrown at least six innings.

“Robert had been pitching with a lot of confidence in the midweek,” McNally said. “He pitched with the most confidence that I’ve seen him throw [this season].”

Once Huber left the game with a 4-2 lead, though, it was as if the defensive prowess left with him. UNC-Greensboro cut the deficit to one by scoring off of an Eric Pfisterer wild pitch, then tied the game after catcher Mike Rosenfeld threw a ball into left field while trying to throw out Bobby Martin.

“We feel if we played better defense, we win the game 4-2,” McNally said. “And that’s something we really pride ourselves on, but tonight we made too many fundamental errors.”

The top of the lineup was the key to the Spartans’ success. John Hein, Bobby Martin and Trevor Edwards went a combined 6-for-13 at the plate and accounted for three RBIs, including Edwards’ go-ahead sacrifice fly in the ninth inning to give them a lead they would not relinquish.

Jeff Kremer continued to put up impressive numbers, batting 2-for-4 with an RBI and walk, as well as a run scored. It was the 30th straight game that Kremer has reached base.

But while Kremer continues to put up big numbers, the team has struggled on the offensive end. The sophomore, however, said the best thing the team could do was not to think about their recent offensive problems.

“UNC-Greensboro put out a few good pitchers and they threw the ball over the plate, which is what they needed to do,” Kremer said. “As far as why we’re not hitting, it’s a question of a day-to-day thing. The minute you start thinking you’re in a slump, that’s when you start slumping.”

Things don’t get any easier for the Blue Devils, as they’ll travel to Tallahassee to take on Florida State in an ACC clash this weekend. McNally knows the series is important and that the best thing to do is leave the past behind.

“We’re all frustrated, we have to regroup, and get ready for weekend.”

Share and discuss “Blue Devils stunned by Spartans at home” on social media.