SPORTS  |  FENCING

Ward takes second championship

Becca Ward won her second NCAA saber title in three years Sunday, defeating Princeton’s Eliza Stone 15-12.

With the victory, Ward became the first Duke fencer in history to win multiple national championships. The win also gave the junior her third All-America selection.

Ward recorded the second-most touches of the 24 competitors at the French Fieldhouse and St. John Arena on the campus of Ohio State. Her defense was even more impressive, receiving just 50 touches, the fewest in the field.

Ward overcame four losses on the first day of competition to reach the semifinals after a perfect Sunday, winning nine straight in the morning’s round robin to earn the No. 2 seed.

Her semifinal matchup came against a familiar foe, Harvard’s Caroline Vloka. In 2009, Ward won her first NCAA saber title by crushing Vloka 15-4 in the championship bout. A year later, it was Vloka who raised the trophy after edging out Ward, 15-13. This time the duo met up a round earlier than in the past, though, and Ward sneaked through to the final with a 15-11 victory.

The championship provided even more drama. Ward jumped out to a quick 7-2 lead, scoring quickly against the flustered Stone. The Tiger sophomore was not to be denied, however, clawing her way back to tie the match at 12-12 before Ward ultimately won 15-12.

Several other Blue Devils also found success over the weekend. On the women’s side, sophomore Emily D’Agostino earned All-America honors with a 10th place epee finish. Two Duke fencers on the men’s side earned All-America recognition as well. Jonathan Parker finished in 7th in the epee while senior Dorian Cohen ended his Duke career with an 11th place finish in foil.

Share and discuss “Ward takes second championship” on social media.