Rising anxiety over growing China

With the current wounded state of the American economy and the increase in fear-based dialogue among politicians, many Americans now believe that China may soon replace the United States as the world’s superpower.

For the typical college student, China’s continual forward progress manifests itself in the number of Chinese-born students attending elite American universities. Recently, the British Broadcasting Corporation’s Matt Frei discussed American anxiety over the rise of China with a group of five Duke students—Jack Zhang, Sharon Mei, Helen Cai, Romeen Sheth and Will Brody.

While predictions of Chinese superiority may have existed as soon as consumers began to find the words “Made in China” marked on a wide array of products, this fear has become far more pronounced as China has become the primary owner of American debt.

“We can either live under the facade that America is so powerful that nothing could ever harm the country…or we can realize that there are several distinct changes we need to undergo and work on to keep America atop as the world's definitive super power,” Senior Romeen Sheth said.

For the most part, the student panel agreed that the perceived threat of China is far greater than any real threat.

“I don’t think Chinese people are aware of this kind of power, that they are portrayed in this kind of light in America,” Freshman Helen Cai said.

What, however, does this mean for the future of the American college graduate? What sort of international landscape will Duke graduates enter? The panel splits on this issue. Sheth claims it is important to keep an attitude of confidence versus an attitude of arrogance.

“China’s influence in the world is growing, but it doesn’t mean that everything America has been doing well has been rendered obsolete,” said senior Jack Zhang, who runs an “Understanding China” house course with senior Sharon Mei.

The debate over the role of China reveals a large amount of uncertainty, as well as fear. America’s monopoly on premier undergraduate education may soon be over. Despite what may happen, the top tier of students around the world still travel to the United States to receive higher education.

“In terms of educational institutions...we have people coming from all across the world to the United States to get their education, and I think that that is just one thing that shows how dominant the United States is on a global setting,” Junior Will Brody said in the BBC video.

Share and discuss “Rising anxiety over growing China” on social media.