Man shot and killed at Millenium Hotel

A man died after being shot in a back parking lot of the Millenium Hotel, located just a few blocks off campus, Friday afternoon.

A man was shot and killed a few blocks off campus Friday afternoon.

The victim, 27-year-old Durham resident Marquis Deir Orr, was attacked in the parking lot behind the Millennium Hotel at 2800 Campus Walk Drive. He died shortly after arriving at Duke University Hospital. No charges have been filed.

“Someone came to him and shot him,” Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez told The Herald Sun. “At this point, there is no indication that it was a stranger. It appears that he may have known his assailant.”

The Durham Police Department responded to the scene at 2:44 p.m. and found the victim in a back parking lot, according to a press release. Officials did not believe that the man was a guest of the hotel, WRAL reported.

The incident prompted Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta to send an e-mail Friday at approximately 7:30 p.m. noting that Duke students were not likely to be in danger.

“I have no reason to believe that the safety of anyone living or traveling to that area is compromised,” Moneta wrote. “My intent in writing to you is to minimize any rumors and correct any misinformation that you may hear.”

He added that he would update students if any further information pertinent to students became available. No further update had been sent as of Sunday night.

Share and discuss “Man shot and killed at Millenium Hotel” on social media.