Group aims to balance exec duties

Members of Duke University Union voted to introduce two new executive positions, in order to better distribute duties among officers, at their meeting Tuesday.

With a goal of more evenly distributed responsibilities and increased clarity among executive positions, Duke University Union members voted Tuesday to restructure its executive board.

Members moved to replace the vice president of internal affairs, vice president of external affairs and secretary positions with vice president programming and vice president administrative. According to current Vice President of Internal Affairs Elliot Johnson, a senior, these new roles would create more cohesion among board members and more distinct and defined roles as well.

“Looking at the roles of the vice presidents... for the VP external affairs, there’s not much to do anymore while [VP internal affairs] does quite a bit,” said current Vice President of External Affairs Will Benesh, a senior, adding that DUU would get more done if certain VPs weren’t overloaded with their responsibilities.

Johnson said VP programming would assume essentially all of the roles of VP internal affairs, which handles anything in DUU among specific committees. VP programming would also be in charge of “committee bonding,” organizing events such as retreats and orientations. VP administrative will assume the responsibilities of VP external affairs as well as those of the secretary position, which will be eliminated for the 2011-2012 executive board. In addition to taking notes for each meeting, VP administrative will continue VP external affairs’ role over the Union Consulting Group—which helps student organizations with event planning—and take on overseeing the Freshman Internship Program.

Despite the majority of members voting in favor of the executive board restructuring, there was some concern about the overall effect it will have in the future.

“I’m not opposed to the change, but I don’t see a purpose to the change,” said Speakers and Stage Chair Alex Shapanka, a sophomore.

Shapanka expressed specific concern with eliminating the position of secretary, saying that taking notes during meetings hinders participation in conversation. However, current Secretary Joyce Kim, a senior, said she can both actively contribute to group discussions and take notes efficiently.

In other business:

Chairs gave updates about their respective committees, discussing progress and highlighting upcoming events. Animal Planet’s Jeff Corwin will be speaking at Reynolds Theater Thursday at 8 p.m. and will hold a book signing afterward. DUU Major Attractions will also be presenting Matisyahu with Freddie Gibbs Wednesday, Nov. 17 at 8 p.m. in Page Auditorium.

Share and discuss “Group aims to balance exec duties” on social media.