SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke heads to South Beach

After a rough start to the ACC schedule that has seen Duke drop two of its first three games, the Blue Devils are hoping that a conference clash with Miami in Coral Gables, Fla., is just what the doctor ordered.

Last season, a depleted Duke squad started the ACC season winless through four games before thrashing the Hurricanes in a rainy 4-0 rout at Koskinen Stadium. The Blue Devils went on to win three of their next five conference games and salvaged a spot in the NCAA tournament.

Flash forward to 2010—the scenario is eerily similar. Though Duke’s nonconference wins have it in a good postion for the postseason, a disappointing start in the ACC has left the No. 22 Blue Devils (6-3-3, 0-2-1 in the ACC) near the bottom of the conference table. With Miami (7-3-1, 1-1-0) up next, head coach Robbie Church hopes history will repeat itself.

“This will be an interesting game going back on the road to Florida,” Church said. “It will be a real test of mental toughness. We’re 0-2-1 in the ACC, but everyone in our locker room believes we could easily be 3-0-0.”

Following a game last Sunday in which Duke outshot then-No. 10 Florida State 18-14 but fell 3-1, the Blue Devils have emphasized the importance of finishing in the final third in this week’s practices. Though Duke has created a myriad of scoring chances over its three ACC games thus far, the Blue Devils are scoring an average of just one goal per game in conference play—a continual source of frustration for Church.

“We cover every situation in the final third that we can in training,” he said. “We’ve just got to make some better decisions [in front of the goal].”

Duke will have to work hard to contain a talented group of Miami strikers, led by senior Brittney Steinbruch, who has five goals this season. Steinbruch, with an assist against Clemson in the Hurricanes’ last game, tied the all-time Miami points record with 73.

Playing at the Hurricanes’ Cobb Stadium presents its own unique challenges. Tightly bordered by a running track, the playing surface is neither as wide nor as long as other fields in the ACC, giving a very physical Miami team a tactical advantage. While the Hurricanes’ defense can sometimes be exploited on the road, its ability to stay compact means that Miami’s back line is much harder to break at home. To prepare, Duke has shortened its own practice field this week to try and simulate the conditions.

“They’re probably one of the toughest teams in the ACC at home,” Church said. “They get really physical at home because there’s no place to go hide from them on the field.”

With only seven games remaining on the ACC schedule, the Blue Devils must begin to grab maximum points if they hope to finish near the top of the conference and improve their seed for the ACC tournament. According to Church, anything less than a win against the Hurricanes will be a disappointment.

“This is the most important week of the season,” he said. “This is what it comes down to.”

Share and discuss “Duke heads to South Beach” on social media.