SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke falls in overtime

The Blue Devils participated in an overtime game for the second straight time Friday—but this time it didn’t have the happy ending the team wanted.

Duke fell 2-1 to Clemson, giving the Tigers their first conference win of the season.

The Tigers (4-7-3, 1-3-2 in the ACC) matched the Blue Devils’ tough, physical soccer, leading to an abundance of penalties. Between the two squads, there were four yellow cards awarded and 30 total fouls called.

No. 24 Duke (6-4-4, 1-3-2), initially looked like it hadn’t missed a beat after Tuesday’s thrilling victory over High Point. The team played suffocating defense and held the game scoreless until the 44th minute, when Clemson’s K.C. Onyeador scored on a header to take a 1-0 lead into halftime.

The second half brought more of the same as the contest turned into a defensive chess match. Onyeador almost scored again for the Tigers early in the period, but the Blue Devil defense cleared the ball just before he could make his final move towards the goal. Duke also put an immense amount of pressure on the Clemson defense late in the half, but could not capitalize on multiple opportunities. Andrew Wenger had the best chance with a little over seven minutes left, sending a shot in from 20 yards out that was barely deflected by Clemson’s goalkeeper.

But just as the game started to look like it was over, Ryan Finley came through for the Blue Devils once again, scoring in the 84th minute to tie the game. Duke earned even more good chances down the stretch, outshooting the Tigers 12-5 in the half, but their effort was to no avail.

The Blue Devils entered overtime with all the momentum, but it was Clemson who came out firing early, nearly scoring a goal within the first few minutes. Continuing to ratchet up the pressure, the Tigers’ many chances finally turned into a goal when Riley Sumter scored with four minutes left in the first period of overtime.

Even in the loss Duke had an edge in several offensive categories, including a 15-12 margin in shots and 7-5 in corner kicks.

But in the end, the Blue Devils were outlasted again in an ACC contest, and the team occupies a dangerous position near the bottom of the ACC standings as the end of the regular season draws close.

Share and discuss “Duke falls in overtime” on social media.