SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Blue Devils to face top goalie in road opener

Duke was able to score on UNC-W’s Brock Duckworth last year, but the goalie can still be lights-out when needed.

Following a heartbreaking loss to North Carolina Friday night, Duke will look to bounce back as it faces UNC-Wilmington today at 7 p.m.

Traveling for the first time this season, the No. 11 Blue Devils (2-1-2) hope to continue their dominance in road openers. For four consecutive years, Duke has won its first away game of the season, and head coach John Kerr is excited to once again play away from the friendly confines of Koskinen Stadium.

“We’ve put in five games already at home so we’re excited to get on the road and test our mental [ability],” Kerr said. “We’re excited about the opportunity.”

The opportunity available for the Blue Devils is to not only get back on the winning track, but to prove themselves against a strong defensive team. The Seahawks (4-1-0) boast one of the best goalkeepers in the country in Brock Duckworth. The senior was ranked second in save percentage nationally and recorded eight shutouts last year. He has already led UNC-W to three shutouts this season, and has not given up a goal at home.

Needless to say, Duke’s offense has its work cut out for it. The Blue Devils will need to overcome both Duckworth and their lack of scoring diversity. While they have scored 10 goals on the season, seven have come by way of sophomore Ryan Finley. The Lumberton, N.J., native has managed two hat tricks already, but none of his teammates have more than one goal. In order for Duke to be successful, Kerr thinks others will need to step up.

“We need to be more dynamic in our movements and not rely on Ryan Finley to score all of our goals,” Kerr said. “I think we have to be a little bit more creative.”

In addition, the offense will need to focus on both creating opportunities and capitalizing on scoring chances. Friday was marked by a huge disadvantage in shots, 18-8, and shots on goal, 7-2, against the rival Tar Heels. While chances were presented in the second half, strikes were just not on target. Against an equally strong defense that will create even fewer opportunities today, the Blue Devils will need to finish when given the chance.

Defensively, Duke has performed solidly so far this year. Despite playing three ranked opponents in their first five games, the Blue Devils have only surrendered four goals. Led by the play of sophomore goalkeeper James Belshaw—who has only given up three goals and currently sports a save percentage of 90 percent— and senior captain Christian Ibeagha, the Duke defense has maintained a high level of play and has consistently performed when called upon.

Yet despite its strong play, the defense will face an aggressive and vengeful group of Seahawks. Having had nearly a week to rest and looking to avenge last season’s overtime loss against Duke, UNC-W will be ready to come out of the gates fast. Additionally, five of the seven Seahawk starters at the midfield and forward positions are seniors, possibly making the battle even greater than expected.

“It’s going to be a tough match,” Kerr said. “They gave us a tough game last year… and we know what they are capable of. Their coaching has done a great job with the program, so we know we have our hands full [tonight].”

Share and discuss “Blue Devils to face top goalie in road opener” on social media.