Durham Police identify fourth suspect in armed robbery

The Durham Police Department is searching for Joshuia Raie-Shawn Waddell, the fourth suspect who has been charged in connection with a robbery Thursday morning at Morreene Manor Apartments, according to a DPD news release. The three other males involved in the incident were arrested Thursday afternoon.

Officers responded to a robbery report Thursday morning at Morreene Manor Apartments at 3600 Tremont Drive, DPD Public Information Officer Kammie Michael wrote in an e-mail. Two employees told officers they were robbed at gunpoint by two males who fled the scene in a red minivan.

Moments before the robbery report, DPD Officer S.J. Roman stopped a red minivan for speeding near Erwin Road at about 11:20 a.m. One passenger jumped out of the van and escaped, while the van sped away. Officers found and arrested the passenger in the 1200 block of Morreene Road.

The van stopped in a parking lot near N.C. 751 and Science Drive, and the remaining three occupants fled. A DPD dog tracked down a 12 year-old male lying the woods and another male was found on Erwin Road. The fourth suspect, Waddell, 21, was last seen before noon in the wooded area behind the R. David Thomas Conference Center on West Campus.

Two of the suspects, Quishawn Lamont Smith, 16, and Tyquon Antonio Smith, 17, were arrested and charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon as well as conspiracy. Quishawn Smith was also charged with causing damages to property. Quishawn was imprisoned in the Durham County Jail under a $351,000 bond and Tyquon was placed under a $350,000 bond. Officers filed a petition with juvenile court to prosecute the 12 year-old suspect.

Duke Police sent out a DukeALERT at about 12:24 p.m. Thursday to notify Duke affiliates about a potentially armed suspect being pursued after an off-campus robbery.

A later DukeALERT announced that three of the four suspects had been arrested, adding that the fourth suspect was still being pursued in the wooded area on Science Drive near the Fuqua School of Business.

The general manager of the R. Davis Thomas Center said that business was not disturbed Thursday, adding that Duke police handled the situation well.

Steven Hartsoe, senior editor of Duke University News and Communications and liaison between Duke police and Durham, said he did not know why the search was called off.

The DPD news release asks anyone with information on Waddell’s location to call Investigator Smith at 919-560-4583 ext. 29366 or CrimeStoppers at 919-683-1200. Cash rewards will be paid to sources for information leading to arrests, and sources can remain anonymous.  

Share and discuss “Durham Police identify fourth suspect in armed robbery” on social media.