Devils lose two of three

Dennis O'Grady's seven inning of one-run ball steered the Devils to victory.

In a weekend overflowing with runs, it was, surprisingly, a virtuoso pitching performance that spurred Duke to a series-salvaging win.

Despite being blown out in their first two games against No. 15 Virginia Tech (36-16, 16-11 in the ACC), the Blue Devils bounced back on Sunday behind starter Dennis O’Grady’s seven innings of one-run ball in an 11-7 victory.

The junior pitched 5.1 no-hit innings before allowing a one-out triple in the sixth inning.

“When you’ve given up 29 runs in two days it takes a certain kind of makeup to come out there and really attack the way Dennis did,” Duke head coach Sean McNally said. “The only thing that could shut him down on Sunday was a rain delay.”

O’Grady also contributed at the plate Sunday, knocking in two runs and swiping a base, while junior Jake Lemmerman and senior Ryan McCurdy each amassed two RBI of their own. Duke (29-24, 8-19) led the contest 11-1 heading into the bottom of the eighth inning, but Christopher Manno and Michael Ness each allowed three runs in relief for the Blue Devils.

Duke certainly needed O’Grady’s performance after the Blue Devil staff was hit around in the first two games of the weekend series. The Hokies took the first game of the series 11-3 after Duke starter Marcus Stroman allowed seven runs in 6.1 innings of work. Saturday’s starter had no better fate, as Eric Pfisterer allowed seven runs of his own in just 3.1 innings for the Blue Devils in an 18-8 Virginia Tech victory.

The Blue Devil bullpen provided no help, allowing 11 runs in those two games alone.

“We need to be better at the end of games,” McNally said. “We’ve been good in spurts, but certainly not consistent enough. We’ll need our bullpen to be sharper.” Infielder Ronnie Shaban led the way for the Hokies with eight RBI in the first two games, including six in Saturday’s matchup.

Lemmerman, though, nearly single-handedly kept Duke competitive in the series, accounting for seven RBI over the weekend. The junior’s three-run homer in Friday’s game was the Blue Devils’ only scoring play of the night.

“[Lemmerman’s] really picked it up the second half of the season each of his three years, and you’re seeing it again this year,” McNally said. “He’s without question the best defensive shortstop in the conference and I think one of the best all-around players in the ACC.”

Duke will play N.C. State in its final ACC series starting this Thursday in a final attempt to earn its way into the ACC Tournament.

Share and discuss “Devils lose two of three” on social media.