New eatery garners positive reviews

At their meeting Monday, DUSDAC members taste test Devil’s Bistro, Central Campus’ new restaurant, finding few complaints about the eatery’s food quality.

The new Central Campus eatery, Devil’s Bistro, is going strong—serving approximately 1,320 meals since its opening Friday, said Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst.

The Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee dined at and critiqued the new restaurant Monday night for the first time. The members gave the food rave reviews and only had minor suggestions regarding logistics, said DUSDAC co-Chair Jason Taylor, a senior.

DUSDAC suggestions included a separate line for grab-and-go purchases, easier access to condiments and utensils and labels on the dessert items. The committee plans to submit its recommendations to Bon Appétit Management Company, which runs the eatery.

The food, though, received little criticism.

“The [grilled tofu masala salad] was excellent,” said DUSDAC member Caroline Yoder, a senior. “The menu is creative with healthy options and a lot of variety, and it is extensive enough that I could get something different every time.”

A Central Campus resident, Yoder said she plans to eat at the restaurant two to three times per week, but added that the wait time was “too long for a salad.”

Bon Appétit Marketing Manager Sarah McGowan attributed the delayed service to the Bistro’s brief time in operation. Unlike many off-campus restaurants, the eatery did not implement a “soft opening” or testing period before Friday’s grand opening to the public.

“We are still working out the kinks of getting food out fast enough,” McGowan said. “But we have had a lot of people in here [this weekend], and we’ve received awesome feedback on the food and the building.”

With a menu ranging from noodle dishes to salads to burgers, the Bistro offers something for everyone, said Franca Alphin, director of nutrition services at Student Health, who dined with DUSDAC Monday.

“Central has always been underserved in terms of food, and this restaurant has been very much needed,” Alphin said. “The ambiance is nice, clean and inviting, and there is a lot of variety and healthy options.”

Although the outside construction is finished, the interior of the Bistro is still under development. Bon Appétit plans to install a projector screen in the lounge area for games and decorate the walls primarily with photos of Duke sports teams, McGowan said.

Taylor said the committee agreed that the Bistro needs some decorations but added that he prefers simplicity.

“We don’t want it to be a Duke shrine or fan club,” he said. “Personally, I like it stark and plain.”     

DUSDAC suggested the Bistro focus its $2,000 decorating budget on minimal non-Duke decor.

“We want a nice balance, and we welcome any feedback,” McGowan said.

Share and discuss “New eatery garners positive reviews” on social media.