MythBusters’ Adam Savage will speak April 7

Duke students will not have to tune into the Discovery Channel April 7 to see the MythBuster in action.

At their meeting Tuesday night, Duke University Union members announced a Major Speakers event featuring Adam Savage, co-host of Discovery Channel’s “MythBusters”—a documentary-style television show that tests popular science rumors and myths. The event will take place in Griffith Theater.

“He will be showing videos about some behind-the-scenes stuff from the MythBusters and talking about the job,” said Major Speakers Director Yi Zhang, a junior.

Before MythBusters, Savage, a New York City native, had several professions, including toy designer, animator and graphic designer. He designed three-dimensional graphics for the popular movies “The Matrix Reloaded” and “Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones.”

Zhang said tickets will be $3 and go on sale about two weeks before the show.

She noted that Savage’s show will likely be the final Major Speakers event this year. 

In other business:

DUU will host its first campus-wide NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Bracket Challenge starting today. A maximum of 800 participants can enter through the CBS Sports college bracket Web site. One winner will be selected before the Final Four games and receive front-row seats to Cameron Rocks and another—who will be determined after the National Championship game—will sit front row at the Adam Savage show.

“The purpose is to raise students’ interest for Duke’s upcoming basketball tournament and to build student pride,” said Executive Vice President Adam Hinnant, a senior.

Tickets for the Cameron Rocks concert are still on sale. DUU will be marketing the show in Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Durham to increase general public sales.

“As of 4 p.m. [Monday], there are only about 1,500 tickets left with slow and steady sales,” said Major Attractions Director Liz Turner, a senior.

Duke’s radio station WXDU and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s WXYC, will host “The Prom” April 3 at 10 p.m. at the Duke Coffeehouse.

The annual event, which was canceled last year, facilitates a relationship between the two stations and provides a fun, free event for students, said WXDU Station Manager Marc Loeffke, a junior.

Share and discuss “MythBusters’ Adam Savage will speak April 7” on social media.