K-ville cancellation due to communication error

The cancellation of personal checks in Krzyzewskiville shortly after midnight Thursday was due to a communication error between Duke University Police Department and the line monitors, DUPD Assistant Chief Gloria Graham said.

Because WXDU, Duke University Union's student-run radio station, was scheduled to play music in K-ville until 1 a.m. Friday, there was confusion between when WXDU would finish their programming and when K-ville was to end.

Either DUPD interpreted 1 a.m. as the time when K-ville would be shut down or the line monitors thought DUPD wanted K-ville to be shut down by 1 a.m, Graham said.

Graham added that she has not been briefed on the events of Thursday night by the squad commander on duty, and will be unable to clarify the misunderstanding until Monday.

Duke police did not take the initiative to shut down K-ville, Graham said. She added that there would have been more discussion within DUPD before canceling an event of such caliber.

“Obviously K-ville concerns us just because we feel there’s a lot of risky behavior that takes place there,” Graham said. “On these nights where’s going to be a lot of activity... we make sure we have a full duty roster.... As far as K-ville last night being any different from K-villes in the past, that’s not the message I got from the squad commanders.”

Duke administrators said they thought the emergency medical service calls to K-ville also prompted the decision to shut down K-ville. They added, however, that they do not foresee the events of last night directly affecting K-ville policy in the future

“There are a very small number [of students] that are irresponsible and foolish that cause problems for everyone else,” Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta said. “I hope the broader K-ville community will help manage the handful of smaller [students].”

Head Line Monitor Zach White, a senior, declined to comment Friday afternoon.

Share and discuss “K-ville cancellation due to communication error” on social media.