Moore elected sports editor of Volume 106

Sophomore Andy Moore will take over as sports editor of Volume 106 of The Chronicle this May.

Sophomore Andy Moore was elected sports editor of The Chronicle’s 106th volume at a meeting of the sports staff Wednesday night.

Moore will begin a one-year term this May and lead a staff of approximately 35 writers and editors. He replaces senior Gabriel Starosta in the position.

Moore, a native of Mount Olive, N.C., will add a local perspective to one of The Chronicle’s top jobs. He is currently an associate sports editor who has covered men’s basketball and football this year, and also served as one of two sports recruitment chairs in the Fall.

“This wasn’t always what I imagined for myself, but I’m extremely excited about the opportunity to lead such a fine group of people and journalists,” Moore said. “The Chronicle has given me so many great memories already at Duke, and I’m really looking forward to the next year.”

In his speech Wednesday night, Moore focused on the sports section’s potential for online growth. He said The Chronicle’s Sports Blog and its presence on websites like Twitter and Facebook were positive developments, but added that the multimedia and online aspects of the newspaper could only improve with more of a commitment from the entire staff.

Moore’s experience with online and multimedia journalism is varied. He and fellow sophomore Taylor Doherty combined to write a series on athletes and their use of social media, and he has also written about his participation in the Krispy Kreme Challenge.

“The future of newspapers is online, and we would be naive not to recognize that,” Moore said. “Every member of this organization needs to know that.”

Moore also stressed the need to run more feature stories, especially those about non-revenue sports.

Men’s basketball and football will continue to be the two sports that receive the most attention, Moore said. But he added that less marquee sports like soccer and tennis also deserve in-depth coverage.

Moore is a 2008 graduate of Southern Wayne High School in Dudley, N.C., and is pursuing a degree in political science. He is also pursuing a minor in English and the Markets and Management certificate. Moore expects to graduate in May 2012.

Share and discuss “Moore elected sports editor of Volume 106” on social media.