LIVE BLOG: Duke 86, Iowa State 65 (FINAL)

Duke 86, Iowa State 65 (FINAL): Strong performance by the Blue Devils today against the Cyclones, which extends the team's win streak to seven. In addition to Scheyer's 31 points, Smith contributed 20 points and Singler 15 to complement his 8 rebounds. As a team, Duke and Iowa State were on par from the field, with both hitting about 45 percent of their shots. A big difference, however, were free throws and turnovers. Iowa State went 11 for 19 from the charity stripe whereas Duke hit 19 of 21. Also, Duke's defense forced 18 turnovers compared to the 11 turnovers its offense gave up.

Duke faces Georgia Tech Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in Atlanta.

Duke 86, Iowa State 63 (0:57): The Duke fans in the stadium give Scheyer a standing ovation as he walks to the bench. There's actually more Duke blue in the stands than meets the eye. He leaves the game with 31 points, 3 rebounds and 4 assists before his hometown.

Duke 82, Iowa State 61 (3:37): Duke goes into the timeout with a healthy 21-point lead, which matches its largest of the game, on the back of Scheyer, Smith and Singler.

Duke 77, Iowa State 58 (4:42): Scheyer stands at 31 points. His season and career high is 36 points, against Gardner Webb this season. Also, Singler needs two more rebounds for a double-double.

Duke 74, Iowa State 56 (6:04): Diante Garrett's foul on Jon Scheyer puts Garrett at 4 fouls, the most of any Iowa State player. Duke, however, has two players in foul trouble - Singler and Thomas both have four.

Duke 71, Iowa State 56 (6:23) Right as Iowa State began to close the gap, Miles Plumlee made a big dunk to quiet the roaring crowd. Then, Scheyer followed that with a 3-pointer a few plays later to keep the Blue Devil lead in double digits, while adding to his game-leading 27 points (10 for 18 shooting).

Duke 61, Iowa State 46 (9:56): After committing 7 turnovers in the first half, the Cyclones are now at 16 turnovers just over 10 minutes into this half.

Duke 61, Iowa State 42 (11:23): Scheyer, Thomas, Mason Plumlee, Singler and Smith on the court now for the Blue Devils. The five have scored all 61 of Duke's points thus far. Scheyer is again turning in a strong performance, going 8 for 16 from the field (3 for 7 from beyond the arc) for 22 points.

Both the Cyclones and the Blue Devils came into the contest with the same 3-point percentage, but Duke is beating Iowa State in that category 43 to 17 percent.

Duke 58, Iowa State 39 (13:11): Big series for the Blue Devils, as they extend their lead to 19, the largest of the night, on the back of an 8-0 run. The Cyclones seem to be getting a little sloppy, as they had a pass fly into the stands just before the timeout.

Duke 50, Iowa State 37 (15:56): Duke expands its lead by 5 after a few turnovers by Iowa State (including a missed alley-oop), a 3 by Scheyer with the shot clock running down and an offensive foul by Gilstrap on a drive against Singler.

Duke 41, Iowa State 33 (HALF): Iowa State hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to cut Duke's lead to 8, which sent this crowd of mostly Cyclone fans into the half happy. Scheyer goes into the half leading the way for Duke at 13 and Smith, Mason Plumlee and Singler following with 9, 7 and 8 points, respectively. On the Cyclone side, forward Marquis Gilstrap has hit 4 of 7 for 8 points, while fellow forward and team leader in points Craig Brackins has only scored 2 points.

Duke started out the game strong by making its first four field goals and led 9-0 before Iowa State stormed back to come within one at 14-13. But Duke never relinquished the lead and shot 37.5 percent from the field compared to Iowa State's 42.4 percent. Perhaps a telling statistic of the first half: 27 rebounds for Duke compared to 19 for Iowa State.

Duke 41, Iowa State 30 (0:37) Apologies for the delay sports fans, but we've had some technical difficulties here in the UC. Duke currently leads by 11, with guard Jon Scheyer shooting 5 for 9 with 13 points to lead the Blue Devils.

PREGAME: Greetings from frigid Chicago where the No. 5 Duke Blue Devils (12-1, 1-0) will take on the Iowa State Cyclones (10-3, 0-0) as visitors tonight in the United Center. Duke enters the game following a strong performance in its 74-53 win over Clemson Sunday, extending its win streak to six, while Iowa State enters the contest on its own four-game win streak. Sports Editor Gabe Starosta has written a pocket guide to the match today.

For the Cyclones, Duke is the first ranked opponent Iowa State will face in January, although No. 2 Texas, No. 22 Texas Tech and No. 1 Kansas are also on the docket this month. As Gabe notes, Iowa State's ten wins have not been against any notable opponents, and the UC has been favorable to the Blue Devils, who have not lost in six appearances here.

Duke guard and Glenbrook North product Jon Scheyer returns home today, as does Coach Krzyzewski, who attended a high school less than ten miles from the stadium. Another interesting factoid: Duke and Iowa State have the same 3-point percentage-42.6 percent-which places both teams at fifth in the nation.

Share and discuss “LIVE BLOG: Duke 86, Iowa State 65 (FINAL)” on social media.